Syria: hundreds killed in Sweida, ‘widespread’ violations as civilians flee for their lives
Amid violent clashes in southern Syria’s Sweida governorate, a picture of grave human rights abuses and rising humanitarian needs is emerging by the hour, the UN said on Friday.
Briefing reporters in Geneva, UN human rights office (OHCHR) spokesperson Ravina Shamdasani highlighted “credible” reports of “widespread violations and abuses, including summary executions and arbitrary killings, kidnappings, destruction of private property and looting of homes” in the city of Sweida.
“Among the reported perpetrators were members of the security forces and individuals affiliated with the interim authorities, as well as other armed elements from the area, including the Druze and Bedouin,” she said.
Hospitals are struggling to cope with the influx of injured, the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) noted at the same briefing.
On Friday morning, OHCHR colleagues reported that clashes were continuing and that “a lot of people are trying to flee or have fled the area”, Ms. Shamdasani continued.
Latest updates from the UN humanitarian affairs coordination office OCHA on Thursday indicated that nearly 2,000 families had been displaced from areas affected by the fighting.
Hundreds have reportedly been killed since sectarian violence involving the Druze and Bedouin communities erupted on 12 July, triggering an intervention by Syrian security forces.
OHCHR’s Ms. Shamdasani highlighted an incident on 15 July in which at least 13 people were killed when “armed individuals affiliated with the interim authorities deliberately opened fire at a family gathering”.
Briefing an emergency meeting of the Security Council in New York on Thursday, UN Assistant Secretary‑General Khaled Khiari also pointed to reports of “civilians, religious figures and detainees being subjected to extrajudicial executions and humiliating and degrading treatment”. He urged all parties to protect civilians and civilian infrastructure.
Ms. Shamdasani stressed that the UN human rights office has been trying to verify the information through “contacts on the ground…families of people who were killed, eyewitnesses”, but that obtaining reliable estimates of the death toll remains a challenge.
“There are lots of videos circulating,” she said. “Some claim to be fighters who are in the area filming the abuses and violations they're carrying out. We are trying to verify some of these videos, but there's a lot of disinformation out there and a lot of it is being used to incite further violence to inflame tensions.”
The OHCHR spokesperson also expressed concern about reports of civilian casualties resulting from Israel's airstrikes on Sweida, Dara’a and central Damascus.
“Attacks such as the one on Damascus on Wednesday pose great risks to civilians and civilian objects,” she warned, calling for the strikes to cease.
Israel had launched the strikes pledging to protect the Druze community.
The violence and displacement have sparked “considerable” humanitarian needs, with the health and aid systems struggling to keep up, said William Spindler of the UN refugee agency (UNCHR).
“Many of the hospitals have been overwhelmed by the number of people who have been injured in the recent fighting,” he said.
According to OCHA, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) has dispatched enough trauma and emergency surgery kits for 1,750 interventions to the area, but many “remain undelivered due to access constraints”.
Since the displaced had to flee at very short notice, they are in desperate need of essentials - blankets, jerry cans, solar lamps - but providing these items has been a challenge.
“We have this in stock and we are ready to deliver them as soon as the security allows it,” Mr. Spindler said. “For now, this has not been possible.”
Mr. Spindler also warned of water shortages due to electricity outages. He said that people are unable to buy bottled water or food because of the insecurity.
UNHCR has an office in rural Sweida and Mr. Spindler expressed concern about the impact of the hostilities on the agency’s operations, infrastructure and personnel.
“We know that humanitarian infrastructure has been affected,” he said, describing an incident on 15 July in which a warehouse of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent was severely damaged by shelling.
The UNHCR spokesperson called on all parties to the conflict to respect and protect humanitarian premises, personnel and assets “in accordance with international humanitarian law”.
-Ends-
STORY Syria Sweida violence OHCHR - UNHCR 18 July 2025
TRT: 2:41”
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH/NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 18 JULY 2025 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
1. Exterior wide shot: Palais des Nations, Flag Alley.
2. Wide shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.
3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Ravina Shamdasani, spokesperson, UN Human Rights Office (OHCHR): “Credible reports that our office has received indicate widespread violations and abuses, including summary executions and arbitrary killings, kidnappings, destruction of private property and looting of homes in the southern city of Sweida. Among the reported perpetrators were members of the security forces and individuals affiliated with the interim authorities, as well as other armed elements from the area, including the Druze and Bedouin.”
4. Wide shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference.
5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Ravina Shamdasani, spokesperson, UN Human Rights Office (OHCHR): “I spoke to colleagues this morning and they said what they're hearing is that some clashes are continuing and that a lot of people are trying to flee or have fled the area.”
6. Medium shot: Journalist in the Press room.
7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Ravina Shamdasani, spokesperson, UN Human Rights Office (OHCHR): “We've highlighted one incident on 15 July where at least 13 people were killed. The death toll overall is reported to be in the hundreds. We've been trying very hard to verify.”
8. Medium shot: Journalists in the Press room.
9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Ravina Shamdasani, spokesperson, UN Human Rights Office (OHCHR): “There are lots of videos circulating. Some claim to be, you know, fighters who are in the area filming the abuses and violations they're carrying out. We are trying to verify some of these videos, but there's a lot of disinformation out there and a lot of it is being used to incite further violence to inflame tensions.”
10. Wide shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.
11. SOUNDBITE (English) – William Spindler, spokesperson, UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR): “The needs are considerable. They range from access to health - many of the hospitals have been overwhelmed by the number of people who have been injured in the recent fighting. Many of the people who were displaced had to leave at very short notice, so they need things like blankets, like jerry cans, like solar lamps and so on. We have this in stock and we are ready to deliver them as soon as the security allows it. For now, this has not been possible.”
12. Wide shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screen.
13. SOUNDBITE (English) – William Spindler, spokesperson, UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR): “Water shortages are also a great concern because electricity outages have disrupted the water supply, so people cannot even buy bottled water, food or other items because of the insecurity.”
14. Close shot: Journalist in the Press room.
15. SOUNDBITE (English) – William Spindler, spokesperson, UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR): “We know that humanitarian infrastructure has been affected, including a warehouse of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent, which was severely damaged on 15 July by shelling.”
16. Wide shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
“Migrants, refugees and asylum-seekers in Libya are subjected to ruthless and systematic human rights violations and abuses, which include killings, torture, sexual violence and trafficking,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , IOM
Four years of war in Ukraine: Childhood has ‘moved underground’, displacement continues – UN humanitarians
Civilian suffering shows no sign of letting up in Ukraine as the four-year-mark of Russia’s full-scale invasion nears amid attacks on energy infrastructure, blackouts and freezing temperatures, UN humanitarians warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
The UN Human Rights Office on Friday voiced concerns about the severe impacts on human rights of the socio-economic crisis in Cuba.
1
1
1
Edited News | WFP
Madagascar: ‘Overwhelming’ destruction, surging needs after back-to-back cyclones – WFP
Some 10 days after tropical cyclone Fytia brought heavy rains and flooding to Madagascar, cyclone Gezani has left the island’s main port in ruins, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN rights chief urges de-escalation in Tigray amid rising tensions and violence.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , OHCHR
In Sudan, sick and starving children ‘wasting away’ – UN humanitarians
Relentless violence, famine and disease are picking off Sudan’s children while attacks on healthcare and a lack of aid access hamper efforts to help them, UN humanitarian agencies warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk on Monday gave an update to the Human Rights Council on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
“A series of new Israeli operations and settlement plans in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, risk seriously undermining the viability of a Palestinian state and the realisation of the Palestinians’ right to self-determination,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNIS
UN voices concern over chemical spraying incident on Lebanon’s Blue Line
The UN reiterated concerns on Friday at reports that Israeli forces sprayed herbicide over areas north of the Blue Line separating Lebanon from Israel. The development poses a “serious humanitarian risk” to civilians living there, said the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), briefing journalists in Geneva.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
Gaza: Five patients evacuated as Rafah reopens while ‘too many stayed behind’ – WHO
As time is running out for thousands of critically ill patients in Gaza, hope is alive for medical evacuations to increase with the reopening of the Rafah crossing in the southern part of the Strip, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNOG , OHCHR
This Sunday marks five years of crisis in Myanmar. Jeremy Laurence, spokesperson for the UN Human Rights, and James Rodehaver, chief of the Myanmar team, today spoke on the conduct of recent military-imposed elections, deploring the failure to respect the fundamental human rights of the country’s citizens. The process served only to exacerbate violence and societal polarization.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF
Brutal Gaza war erased years of progress on education, in an “assault on the future itself” – UNICEF
Restoring Gaza’s shattered education system is “lifesaving” and getting children back into schools must be an immediate priority, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said on Tuesday.