Ongoing Russian attacks in Ukraine force frontline areas to empty: UNHCR
With Ukrainian cities still reeling from this week’s deadly Russian missile and drone attacks, communities on the front line continue to be targeted too, the UN refugee agency, UNHCR, said on Friday. “We also see attacks on frontline regions increasing and it's, as always, civilians that are bearing the highest cost of the war,” said Karolina Lindholm Billing, UNHCR Representative in Ukraine.
Since January, more than 3,500 newly displaced people have transited through a centre in Pavlohrad towards central Ukraine and last month, more than 4,200 evacuees arrived at another centre in the northeastern city of Sumy, where UNHCR and partners provide humanitarian support. In total more than 200,000 people have been evacuated or displaced from frontline areas between August last year and the start of 2025. These numbers are only a fraction of all those made homeless by the violence and mandatory evacuation orders issued by Kyiv in the face of ongoing Russian aggression.
The majority of those being moved are the elderly with low mobility or disabilities, families with few resources and children. In many cases, they stayed until the end because they didn't want to leave everything they had behind, UNHCR said.
It has now been more than 38 months since Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine.
On Thursday, UN aid agencies led condemnation of Russian missile-and-drone attack on Kyiv that killed 12 people and injured 84, one of a wave of attacks across the country that point to an intensification of the conflict since the start of the year - and growing humanitarian needs for refugees.
“Those deadly Russian attacks have intensified alarmingly since January,” said Ms. Billing, speaking to journalists in Geneva via videolink from Kyiv. “More than 1,000 people have been directly affected as their homes have been damaged or completely destroyed. Civilian infrastructure were also hit in several other regions yesterday, including in Kharkiv, where I myself woke up around 2am in the morning to the loud sound of explosions."
According to the UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine, civilian casualties in Ukraine were 70 per cent higher in March this year compared to 12 months earlier. In recent weeks, large-scale attacks on cities including Sumy, Kryvyi Rih, Kharkiv, Zaporizhzhia, Odesa, Marhanets and more have killed and injured civilians and caused damage to residential areas and people’s homes, medical facilities, schools and other infrastructure.
The war has left four million people internally displaced since 24 February 2022 when Russian tanks rolled into Ukraine. Many of those uprooted have yet to find affordable housing and a new job - which is why support from humanitarian organizations is so crucial, the UNHCR official insisted.
“One of the main things we deliver as part of the emergency response are emergency shelter materials that help people cover broken windows, roofs and doors,” Ms. Billing said.
Since 2022, UNHCR has supported around 450,000 people making repairs on their homes. The UN agency also provides psychological first aid and legal support to those who have lost their identity documents and emergency cash assistance to help people cover most basic needs.
But more support is needed to sustain a timely and predictable response to the many calls for assistance the agency receives from the affected people and the authorities. “UNHCR and our partners, we have the capacity and reach to efficiently deliver, provided we receive the necessary funding,” insisted Ms. Billing.
ast year, US funding for UNHCR accounted for around 40 per cent of its overall contributions. In 2025, UNHCR requires a total of $803.5 million to address the emergency situation in Ukraine. Today, the appeal is 25 per cent funded. During the winter period, the agency had to put some of its programmes partially on-hold, covering psychosocial support, emergency shelter material and cash assistance.
Ends
Story: “Ukraine attacks - UNHCR” – Friday 25 April 2025
Speaker:
TRT: 02’48”
SOURCE: UNTV CH
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 25 April 2025 - GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
Geneva Press briefing
SHOTLIST
MORE INFO:
Download video material - B-Roll: https://media.unhcr.org/Share/vkpxnn4480671cn71ceccra5bc4jwm76
Briefing Notes: https://www.unhcr.org/news/briefing-notes/unhcr-responds-latest-wave-deadly-attacks-ukraine?auHash=0v20qkeGqY777svSWBvb3KHnlmsR71TzPNG6bNG5CCI
Download video material - B-Roll: https://media.unhcr.org/Share/vkpxnn4480671cn71ceccra5bc4jwm76
Briefing Notes: https://www.unhcr.org/news/briefing-notes/unhcr-responds-latest-wave-deadly-attacks-ukraine?auHash=0v20qkeGqY777svSWBvb3KHnlmsR71TzPNG6bNG5CCI
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine
A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF
At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , WHO
Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn
Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC
Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.
1
1
Edited News | WHO
Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO
Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNHCR , OHCHR
Middle East crisis puts aid, food, fuel further out of reach for millions already struggling – UN agencies
As the Middle East crisis continues the humanitarian fallout is worsening, with aid route disruptions and food and fuel price hikes wrecking the lives and rights of the most vulnerable, UN agencies warned on Friday.
1
1
2
Edited News | UNMAS
Demining experts from around the world have been sharing their collective shock at the widespread and growing threat from unexploded ordnance, the new head of the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS) said on Wednesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
The UN Human Rights Office in Syria conducted a 5-day visit to the northeast of the country where they received accounts of human rights violations and abuses.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF
Sudan: ‘History repeating itself’ for Darfur’s children - UNICEF
Mass atrocities in Sudan’s Darfur 20 years ago reverberated as far as Hollywood, but today, a new generation of children faces attacks, hunger and displacement in an emergency largely ignored by the outside world, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) warned on Tuesday.