Ethiopia update - WFP
/
2:08
/
MP4
/
157.1 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | WFP

Ethiopia update - WFP

Funding and supply shortfalls for the UN’s World Food Programme (WFP) work in Ethiopia will halt lifesaving treatment for 650,000 malnourished women and children at the end of the month. “We are at the breaking point,” it said on Tuesday.

In total, 3.6 million “most vulnerable” people in Ethiopia stand to lose WFP food and nutrition assistance unless funding arrives urgently, warned Zlatan Milisic, the UN agency’s Country Director.

“Over 10 million people in Ethiopia are acutely food insecure. This includes three million people displaced by conflict and extreme weather. Malnutrition rates are alarmingly high,” he told journalists in Geneva via videolink.

More than four million pregnant women, breastfeeding women and young children need treatment for malnutrition in Ethiopia. In Somali, Oromia, Afar and Tigray regions, child wasting has passed the 15 per cent emergency threshold.

WFP had planned to reach two million mothers and children with lifesaving nutrition assistance in 2025 but it has been forced to cut costs after receiving only half of last year’s funding.

“What is particularly important now is that our nutritious foods are running out,” Mr. Milisic explained. “So, we are stopping that programme unless something comes really fast and we are looking and we are hopeful, but nothing has come yet.”

In the first three months of the year, WFP provided food and nutrition support to more than three million people. This included 740,000 children and pregnant and breastfeeding women suffering from malnutrition.

In common with other humanitarian crises impacted by funding cuts, the UN agency has reduced food rations to reach the most vulnerable communities. For the past 18 months this has meant giving 60 per cent rations to most of the 800,000 refugees WFP serves and 80 per cent rations to “displaced and food-insecure - some severely food-insecure - Ethiopians for the past nine months”, Mr. Milisic continued.

Citing access challenges for humanitarians in Amhara region where there is ongoing conflict, the WFP official noted that aid operations had been disrupted, threatening relief supplies for more than 500,000 people. “Car hijacking, threats and theft are on the rise and pose serious risks to staff safety and impact the delivery of lifesaving assistance,” he continued.

Fighting is also continuing in Oromia region and tensions are rising in Tigray, where civil war killed an estimated 500,000 people from 2020 to 2022 as the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPFL) fought the federal army.

Despite the challenging funding and security situation, WFP continues to provide daily school meals to 470,000 children every month. This includes 70,000 children from refugee communities – with conflict-affected and food-insecure areas the focus of relief efforts in northern Ethiopia.

WFP also helps communities to prepare and protect their livelihoods in drought-prone Oromia, Somali and Southern regions, targeting over 200,000 people with early warning messages and cash transfers.

The agency requires $222 million between now and September to maintain its operations and to reach its target of 7.2 million people this year.

“We have the teams, the logistics, the capacities in place, partners, our staff; what we lack are the resources to act and the scale that this situation demands,” Mr. Milisic said.

ends

STORY: Ethiopia –WFP

TRT: 02’08”

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 22 APRIL 2025 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

Speaker:

  • Zlatan Milisic, Country Director in Ethiopia (from Addis Ababa)

SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior medium shot: Palais des Nations, Flag Alley
  2. Wide, Press room, journalists, control booths.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Zlatan Milisic, Country Director in Ethiopia: “Over 10 million people in Ethiopia are acutely food insecure. This includes three million people displaced by conflict and extreme weather. Malnutrition rates are alarmingly high.”
  4. Medium, journalists.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Zlatan Milisic, Country Director in Ethiopia: “In total, over four million pregnant women, breastfeeding women and young children are in need of treatment for malnutrition. In some areas. Somali, Oromia, Afar and Tigray regions, child wasting has passed the 15 per cent emergency threshold.”
  6. Wide, podium, journalists.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Zlatan Milisic, Country Director in Ethiopia: “Now we are at the breaking point. We've been left no choice but to suspend completely the treatment for 650,000 malnourished women and children, simply because we've run out of commodities and funding.”
  8. Medium-wide, journalists, TV screen showing remote speaker.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Zlatan Milisic, Country Director in Ethiopia: “We are now operating with just about 50 per cent of last year's funding. This means that 3.6 million vulnerable people could lose access to WFP assistance in the coming weeks, unless funding arrives urgently.”
  10. Wide, podium, journalists, TV screens showing remote speaker.
  11. SOUNDBITE (English) – Zlatan Milisic, Country Director in Ethiopia: “What is particularly important now is that our nutritious foods are running out. So, we are stopping that programme unless something comes really fast and we are looking and we are hopeful, but nothing has come yet.”
  12. Medium, podium speaker, journalists, TV screen showing remote speaker.
  13. SOUNDBITE (English) – Zlatan Milisic, Country Director in Ethiopia: “WFP requires $222 million between now and September to maintain our operations and actually scale up to reach our target of 7.2 million people in the year.”
  14. Medium, journalist.
  15. Medium, journalist.
  16. Medium, journalist.


Audio Files 1
Download Ethiopia update - WFP (Edited Story)
Download Expired

Similar Stories

Ebola update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine

A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes ENG FRA

A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.

Middle East crisis ripple effect - UNHCR, OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , OHCHR

Middle East crisis ripple effect - UNHCR, OHCHR ENG FRA

Middle East crisis puts aid, food, fuel further out of reach for millions already struggling – UN agencies

As the Middle East crisis continues the humanitarian fallout is worsening, with aid route disruptions and food and fuel price hikes wrecking the lives and rights of the most vulnerable, UN agencies warned on Friday.

Kazumi Ogawa, Director UN Mine Action Service - UNMAS

1

1

2

Edited News | UNMAS

Kazumi Ogawa, Director UN Mine Action Service - UNMAS ENG FRA

Demining experts from around the world have been sharing their collective shock at the widespread and growing threat from unexploded ordnance, the new head of the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS) said on Wednesday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Human rights violation in Syria

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Human rights violation in Syria ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office in Syria conducted a 5-day visit to the northeast of the country where they received accounts of human rights violations and abuses.

Darfur update - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Darfur update - UNICEF ENG FRA

Sudan: ‘History repeating itself’ for Darfur’s children - UNICEF

Mass atrocities in Sudan’s Darfur 20 years ago reverberated as far as Hollywood, but today, a new generation of children faces attacks, hunger and displacement in an emergency largely ignored by the outside world, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) warned on Tuesday.