Middle East humanitarian update - OCHA,UNHCR, WHO 22 November 2024
/
3:27
/
MP4
/
255.8 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | OCHA , UNHCR , WHO

Middle East humanitarian update OCHA - UNHCR - WHO 22 November 2024

Lebanon crisis: Intensifying violence is deadliest in decades, warn aid agencies

The past two months of intensifying Israeli bombardment in Lebanon have been the “deadliest and most devastating” in decades as communities uprooted from the front line flee continue to flee across the border to Syria, UN humanitarians said on Friday.

Highlighting the deepening the humanitarian catastrophe for civilians on Lebanon’s Independence Day, the UN refugee agency, UNCHR, warned of a prevailing sense of uncertainty and fear as the war grinds on.

“In recent weeks, Israel dramatically intensified its airstrikes and ground incursions and this has deepened the humanitarian catastrophe that has affected civilians,” said Ivo Freijsen, UNHCR Representative in Lebanon. “The past few weeks have been the deadliest and the most devastating for Lebanon and people in decades.”

To date, close to one million people have been displaced across Lebanon - one in five of the population - and nearly 600,000 people have crossed the border into Syria.

According to the authorities, as of 20 November, there have been nearly 3,600 confirmed deaths including more than 230 children and more than 15,000 injured.

Speaking from the war-torn country, Mr. Freijsen appealed for international assistance to “ramp up winter assistance; it’s started to rain and in some areas the first snow has fallen…we have a huge collective effort in front of us we need to pursue in terms of creating better conditions for all the displaced through specific winter assistance and improved shelter.”

The UNHCR official stressed the need to ensure equal access to shelter for all displaced people, particularly refugees who were already in an acutely precarious situation before this crisis. The agency’s response includes counselling, community support and creating safe spaces for those most at risk. To date, it has reached more than 100,000 people during the current emergency and supports a network of 44 health facilities across the country including the provision of life-saving equipment, such as trauma kits.

According to the UN World Health Organization (WHO), one in 10 hospitals has ceased operations or been forced to reduce services as attacks continue on healthcare and personnel.

“A hallmark of the conflict in Lebanon is how destructive it has been to the healthcare and this is unprecedented in any level,” said Dr. Abdinasir Abubakar, WHO Representative in the country: Citing UN health agency data, he noted that nearly 330 healthcare workers have been killed in Lebanon since 8 October last year and “47 per cent of these attacks on healthcare have proven fatal”.

Asked to explain this high fatality ratio, Dr Abubakar added that on the front line “more ambulances have been targeted - and whenever the ambulance is targeted actually then you will have a three, four or five paramedics that have been killed”.

In an update from the Lebanon-Syria border crossing at Jdaidet Yabous, UNCHR’s Representative in Syria, Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, reported that an estimated 560,000 people have sought shelter inside Syria since 24 September - about 65 per cent are Syrians and the remainder are Lebanese. Crossing the border remains extremely dangerous for civilians and humanitarians alike, however.

“It is clear from our interaction with those Syrians and Lebanese that we speak to at the border, that the bombings of the IDF of border crossings - including the one where I am here which has been bombed at least twice in the past few weeks - this has had a major effect in reducing the numbers. Syrians and Lebanese are very scared of using these escape routes,” said Mr. Vargas Llosa, speaking to journalists in Geneva via video link.

Around 50 Lebanese nationals are returning to Lebanon every day in response to the “disastrous” economic situation in Syria, along with a smaller number of Syrians, the UNHCR official continued.

“They're going back because they cannot make ends meet here because they're not getting enough support, and they think that they might also be better off in Lebanon. Again, these are very, very small numbers. But for us, even small numbers, are worrying signals.”

In a related development, the UN aid coordination office, OCHA, condemned all attacks on aid staff globally, noting that 2024 has been the deadliest year on record for humanitarian workers, driven by the war in Gaza.

“The latest entry into the aid worker security database for this November is 10 national staff killed in Gaza,” said OCHA spokesperson Jens Laerke. “Since 7 October last year, at least 333 aid workers have been killed in Gaza alone; most are UNRWA staff members or our colleagues.”

Middle East update – OCHA, UNHCR, WHO

TRT: 03 min 27s
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: For Lebanon healthcare footage shot 05 November 2024 please credit "WHO" and for footage of destruction in southern Lebanon shot 31 October 2024 please credit UNIFIL.
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 22 NOVEMBER 2024 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND.

Speakers:

  • Dr. Abdinasir Abubakar, WHO Representative in Lebanon (from Beirut)
  • Ivo Freijsen, UNHCR Representative in Lebanon (from Lebanon)
  • Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, UNHCR Representative in Syria (from Syria)
  • Jens Laerke, spokesperson, OCHA


SHOTLIST

    1. Exterior médium-wide: UN Geneva flag alley.
    2. Wide, UN Geneva Press room, journalists, TV camera, control booths, screens.
    3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Ivo Freijsen, UNHCR Representative in Lebanon (from Lebanon): “In recent weeks, Israel dramatically intensified its airstrikes and ground incursions and this has deepened the humanitarian catastrophe that has affected civilians. The past few weeks have been the deadliest and the most devastating for Lebanon and people in decades.”
    4. Medium-wide, Press room, journalists, TV journalist moving camera.
    5. SOUNDBITE (English) - Dr. Abdinasir Abubakar, WHO Representative in Lebanon (from Beirut): “A hallmark of the conflict in Lebanon is how destructive it has been to the healthcare and this is unprecedented in any level. Based on the WHO surveillance system for attacks on healthcare, nearly 330 healthcare workers have been killed in Lebanon since 8 October last year.”
    6. Medium-wide, TV journalist panning to participants.
    7. SOUNDBITE (English) - Dr. Abdinasir Abubakar, WHO Representative in Lebanon (from Beirut): “What we are seeing in the front – in the absolute front line - is more ambulances have been targeted and whenever the ambulance is targeted actually then you will have a three, four or five paramedics that's been killed.”
    8. Medium, podium speakers.
    9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson, OCHA: “The latest entry into the aid worker security database for this November is 10 national staff killed in Gaza. Since 7 October last year, at least 333 aid workers have been killed in Gaza alone; most were staff members of UNRWA and our colleagues.”
    10. Medium-wide, journalists, TV journalist filming, screens showing speaker.
    11. SOUNDBITE (English) - Ivo Freijsen, UNHCR Representative in Lebanon (from Lebanon): “We are all obviously very concerned about the winter and the need to ramp up winter assistance; it’s started to rain and in some areas the first snow has fallen. So, we have a huge collective effort in front of us we need to pursue in terms of creating better conditions for all the displaced through specific winter assistance and improved shelter.”
    12. Wide, journalists, TV screens.
    13. SOUNDBITE (English) - Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, UNHCR Representative in Syria (from Syria): “There’s an estimated 560,000 persons who have arrived in Syria since 24 September, about 65 per cent of them are Syrians and about 35 per cent of them are Lebanese.”
    14. Medium, journalists.
    15. SOUNDBITE (English) - Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, UNHCR Representative in Syria (from Syria): “It is clear from our interaction with those Syrians and Lebanese that we speak to at the border, that the bombings of the IDF of border crossings - including the one where I am here which has been bombed at least twice in the past few weeks - this has had a major effect in reducing the numbers. Syrians and Lebanese are very scared of using these escape routes.”
    16. Medium, hospital footage from Geitaoui Hospital burns unit, Beirut taken 5 November 2024. Please credit WHO.
    17. Close, patient’s bandaged hand, Geitaoui Hospital, Beirut taken 5 November 2024. Please credit WHO.
    18. Close, patient’s bandaged leg, Geitaoui Hospital, Beirut taken 5 November 2024. Please credit WHO.
    19. Medium, destruction in southern Lebanon village, viewed from UNIFIL patrol vehicle, taken 31 October 2024. Please credit UNIFIL.
    20. Medium, destruction in southern Lebanon village, viewed from UNIFIL patrol vehicle, taken 31 October 2024. Please credit UNIFIL.
    21. Medium, an abandoned car and destruction in southern Lebanon village, viewed from UNIFIL patrol vehicle, taken 31 October 2024. Please credit UNIFIL.
    22. Medium, burned-out car and destruction in southern Lebanon village, viewed from UNIFIL patrol vehicle, taken 31 October 2024. Please credit UNIFIL.

The past two months of intensifying Israeli bombardment in Lebanon have been the “deadliest and most devastating” in decades as communities uprooted from the front line have continued to flee across the border to Syria, UN humanitarians said on Friday.


Documents 1
Download Storyline
Download Expired

Audio Files 1
Download Middle East humanitarian update - OCHA,UNHCR, WHO 22 November 2024
Download Expired

Similar Stories

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , WHO

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA ENG FRA

Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground

In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

Celestial sphere reopening

1

11

1

1

Edited News , B-roll , Images | UNOG

Celestial sphere reopening ENG

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire

1

1

1

Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire ENG FRA

Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.

Ebola update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine

A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes ENG FRA

A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.