Bi-Weekly Press Briefing: Northern Mozambique Hunger Alert - WFP
/
1:49
/
MP4
/
133.1 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | WFP

Bi-Weekly Press Briefing: Mozambique Hunger Alert WFP

Mozambique: life-saving aid for one million people could be cut without funding boost

One million desperately vulnerable people in northern Mozambique could see their life-saving support cut, without additional funding to help them, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.

“WFP is delivering food assistance to one million people affected by the conflict in northern Mozambique, but unfortunately, we have a very serious funding shortage,” said WFP Regional Communications Officer for Southern Africa, Antonella d’Aprile. “WFP will be forced to suspend life-saving assistance to one million people by February if we don’t receive funds now.”

The warning comes amid intensifying extremist violence in Cabo Delgado, which is the most food-insecure province of the south African nation, where 1.15 million people already face “crisis” or “emergency” hunger levels.

Despite the widespread violence, WFP has been providing emergency assistance to one million displaced people - including in previously inaccessible areas such as Macomia, Muidumbe, Nangade, Palma, and Quissanga. But it has had no option but to cut rations in recent months.

“The attacks started five years ago in Cabo Delgado, which is the most food-insecure, malnourished and extremely poor province in Mozambique,” Ms. d’Aprile explained, in reference to the “unprecedented” targeting of districts close to the provincial capital, Pemba and in neighbouring Nampula province.

“People are leaving their villages, leaving absolutely everything behind,” the WFP officer continued, adding that the number of displaced people in the north has quadrupled to nearly one million people in the last two years.

Humanitarians are also worried that the funding shortage will likely coincide with the peak of the lean season. “This means that food is more expensive because farmers are waiting for their harvest,” according to WFP’s Ms. D’Aprile, who also noted that February tends to be when Mozambique is ravaged by devastating cyclones. “Without WFP food assistance, one million vulnerable, uprooted people will be on the verge of hunger in Mozambique,” she stressed.

Essential humanitarian action also includes working to scale up resilience-building activities among vulnerable communities. WFP does this by supporting 44,000 people in recovering land and production in Cabo Delgado. The UN agency also provides nutrition supplements to prevent and treat malnutrition among children under the age of five, in addition to pregnant and nursing women.

In most remote areas of the north, the WFP-run UN Humanitarian Air Service (UNHAS) is the only air service available for aid workers. In December 2020, following escalation of violence and the COVID-19 pandemic, the agency opened an airbridge connecting inaccessible areas in the north. Since then, UNHAS has transported more than 10,000 humanitarian personnel and 70,000 kilogrammes of humanitarian cargo.

All of these activities are now at risk because of a lack of funding, WFP has stressed. It needs $51 million to continue delivering life-saving assistance to one million people and provide much-needed services.

“WFP will strive to maintain life-saving assistance to the most vulnerable groups - such as those most undernourished, malnourished children, pregnant women, and nursing mothers - but there are many whom we might not be able to assist, unless additional funding is received urgently,” Ms. d’Aprile told journalists.

ends

STORY: Northern Mozambique Hunger Alert - WFP

TRT: 1 mins 49s

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH/NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 11 November 2022 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

SHOTLIST

  1. Medium shot, press room with panel of speakers.
  2. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH), WFP Regional Communications Officer for Southern Africa, Antonella d’Aprile: “WFP is delivering food assistance to one million people affected by the conflict in northern Mozambique, but unfortunately, we have a very serious funding shortage.”
  3. Medium -wide shot, press room with journalists and TV screen showing WFP speaker.
  4. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH), WFP Regional Communications Officer for Southern Africa, Antonella d’Aprile: “The attacks started five years ago in Cabo Delgado, which is the most food-insecure, malnourished and extremely poor province in Mozambique.”
  5. Medium shot, press room showing host, journalists and TV cameras to rear.
  6. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH), WFP Regional Communications Officer for Southern Africa, Antonella d’Aprile: “WFP will be forced to suspend life-saving assistance to one million people by February if we don’t receive funds now as I speak.”
  7. Medium shot, journalists typing on laptops.
  8. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH), WFP Regional Communications Officer for Southern Africa, Antonella d’Aprile: “February in Mozambique is also the peak of the lean season. This means that food is more expensive because farmers are waiting for their harvest.”
  9. Medium shot, press conference participants.
  10. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH), WFP Regional Communications Officer for Southern Africa, Antonella d’Aprile: “Unfortunately, February is also our agitated cyclone season, so without WFP food assistance, one million vulnerable, uprooted people will be on the verge of hunger in Mozambique.”
  11. Medium shot, journalists checking mobile phones, WFP speaker shown on TV screen to rear.
  12. Medium shot, TV camera operators filming.
  13. Close-up, journalists’ hands, laptops.

Similar Stories

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , WHO

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA ENG FRA

Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground

In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

Celestial sphere reopening

1

11

1

1

Edited News , B-roll , Images | UNOG

Celestial sphere reopening ENG

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire

1

1

1

Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire ENG FRA

Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.

Ebola update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine

A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes ENG FRA

A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.