Venezuela School Meals - WFPF
/
2:18
/
MP4
/
175.3 MB

Edited News | WFP

Venezuela School Meals - WFP

World Food Programme reaches deal to supply food to 185,000 children in Venezuela

The United Nations' World Food Programme (WFP) has signed an agreement with the Government of Venezuela to begin operations to provide the most vulnerable children in the South American country with nutritious school meals, it announced on Tuesday.

The agency’s goal is to reach 185,000 students by year’s end and 1.5 million by the end of the 2022-2023 school year. It estimated the food assistance programme’s annual budget at $190 million.

Humanitarian aid groups have long pushed for the Government of Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro to allow WFP to distribute food aid in Venezuela.

The agency has previously worked in the country on a development project in the early 70s and has responded to flooding emergencies in later years.

The development follows Monday’s meeting between WFP Executive Director David Beasley and President Maduro and Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido.

“Our school meals programmes are independent, they’ve always been and separate from any other interference. Not only in Venezuela, but elsewhere that we have worked,” WFP spokesperson Tomson Phiri told journalists in Geneva.

Mr Phiri explained that the operation will focus on pre-primary and special education schools, as well as “investing in the rehabilitation of school canteens and training school staff on food safety practices as a means of reaching the wider community”.

In total, there are around eight million children under 14 in Venezuela,” according to WFP, its project coming amid a rise in child malnutrition linked to the spiralling economic crisis in the oil-rich country, soaring food prices and hyperinflation.

One out of three Venezuelans - which is about 32.3 per cent is food insecure today - and they are in need of assistance” said Mr. Phiri. This includes 2.3 million people who are severely food insecure.

A joint analysis by WFP and the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) in October included Venezuela among 20 countries that were “likely to face potential spikes in high acute food insecurity” over the following three to six months requiring “urgent attention.”

ENDS

STORY: Venezuela School Meals - WFP

TRT: 02 min 18s

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 20 APRIL 2021 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

SHOTLIST

  1. Exterior wide shot, Palais des Nations flag alley, nations’ flags flying, a sunny day.
  2. Wide shot, podium with speakers in a near-empty Room XIV in line with COVID-19 distancing measures, Palais des Nations.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) — Tomson Phiri, spokesperson for WFP (UN World Food Programme): “After reaching an agreement with the government, WFP will start a humanitarian operation in Venezuela that will forecast on a school meals programme in areas that are most food insecure. Through a phased approach, WFP will aim to provide daily meals to 1.5 million students by the end of the 2022/2023 school year.”
  4. Medium shot, participant typing on phone, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) — Tomson Phiri, spokesperson for WFP (UN World Food Programme): “By the end of 2021, the World Food Programme operation will reach up to 185,000 children. WFP will also invest in the rehabilitation of school canteens and training of school staff on food safety practices as a means of reaching the wider community.”
  6. Medium wide shot, participants sitting in Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) — Tomson Phiri, spokesperson for WFP (UN World Food Programme): “One out of three Venezuelans, which is about 32.3 per cent is food insecure today and they are in need of assistance. The signing allows the World Food Programme to set up a presence in Venezuela and to start our operation which is focusing on children and schools.”
  8. Medium wide shot, podium with speakers to rear, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) — Tomson Phiri, spokesperson for WFP (UN World Food Programme): “There are some eight million children under the age of 14 in Venezuela. Our plan through a phased approach is to reach 1.5 million children by the end of the 2022/2023 academic year. This will cost us, it will cost WFP approximately 190 million to effectively start and mount an effective response.”
  10. Medium shot, journalist taking notes, Room XIV, Palais des Nations
  11. SOUNDBITE (English) — Tomson Phiri, spokesperson for WFP (UN World Food Programme): “Our school meals programme are independent, they’ve always been and separate from any other interference. Not only in Venezuela, but elsewhere that we have worked.”
  12. Medium shot, spokesperson speaking on the podium, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  13. Medium shot, journalist sitting in front of laptop, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  14. Wide medium shot, podium with speakers, side shot, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.

Similar Stories

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Jeremy Laurence on constitutional amendments and immunity provisions in Pakistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Jeremy Laurence on constitutional amendments and immunity provisions in Pakistan ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in the Geneva on Friday the UN Human Rights Office raised grave concerns about the recent constitutional amendments adopted in Pakistan. 

UN Human Rights Briefing by Jeremy Laurence on Jenin killings

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Briefing by Jeremy Laurence on Jenin killings ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva, UN Human Rights Spokesperson made the following comment on the most recent killings in the occupied West Bank yesterday.

UN Human Rights Briefing by James Rodehaver on Myanmar

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Briefing by James Rodehaver on Myanmar ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in the Geneva on Friday the UN Human Rights Office raised concerns about the military-controlled election in Myanmar, which starts next month and will be conducted in an atmosphere rife with threats and violence putting the lives of civilians at risk.

UNAIDS Press conference - 25 November 2025

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | UNAIDS

UNAIDS Press conference - 25 November 2025 ENG FRA

World AIDS Day 2025: Overcoming disruption, transforming the AIDS response 

Gaza update -  UN Women

1

1

1

Edited News | UN WOMEN

Gaza update - UN Women ENG FRA

Gaza women are ‘last line of protection’ for their families amid attacks, hunger and harsh winter – UN Women

Women in Gaza are ensuring their families’ survival “with nothing but courage and exhausted hands” while violence continues and essentials remain in short supply, the UN’s gender equality agency warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on increasing attacks by Israel in Lebanon

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on increasing attacks by Israel in Lebanon ENG FRA

Since the ceasefire began on 27 November 2024, Israeli military strikes in Lebanon have killed at least 127 civilians. Nearly a year later, these attacks continue to increase, causing civilian deaths and damage to civilian structures.

UNCTAD - Press Conference: Report 2025 on developments in the economy of the Occupied Palestinian Territory

2

1

2

Press Conferences , Edited News | UNCTAD

UNCTAD - Press Conference: Report 2025 on developments in the economy of the Occupied Palestinian Territory ENG FRA

A new report by UN Trade and Development (UNCTAD) finds that the prolonged military operation and long-standing restrictions have driven the economy of the Occupied Palestinian Territory into its most severe contraction on record, wiping out decades of development gains and deepening fiscal and social fragility. 

Gaza humanitarian update - UNICEF, WHO, WFP 21 November 2025

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , WFP

Gaza humanitarian update - UNICEF, WHO, WFP 21 November 2025 ENG FRA

Ongoing attacks and airstrikes attributed to Israeli forces in Gaza continue to kill and maim people of all ages in the shattered enclave despite an agreed ceasefire, UN agencies said on Friday.

Gaza update  UNICEF - OCHA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , OCHA

Gaza update UNICEF - OCHA ENG FRA

Gaza: After Security Council vote humanitarians urge aid scale-up as winter rains hit families hard

Following the UN Security Council’s Monday endorsement of a US peace plan for Gaza, UN humanitarians urged prioritizing aid access under the scheme as severe rains and flooding deepened Palestinian suffering.

Sudan humanitarian update - UNHCR, UNMAS, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , UNMAS , WHO

Sudan humanitarian update - UNHCR, UNMAS, WHO ENG FRA

Just how many people are still trapped in the Sudanese city of El Fasher?

That’s the burning question for relatives of the many thousands of people believed to still be there, since paramilitary fighters overran the regional capital of North Darfur last month, after a 500-day siege.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Violence in the occupied West Bank

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on Violence in the occupied West Bank ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva, UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan made the following remarks on the ongoing violence in the occupied WestBank. 

Remarks by UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk to Human Rights Council Special Session on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

Remarks by UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk to Human Rights Council Special Session on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan ENG FRA

At a Special Session of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva today, the UN Human Rights Chief, Volker Türk made the following remarks on the situation in El-Fasher, Sudan.