Sudan's children facing “unprecedented mortality”: UN humanitarians
A deadly combination of a suspected measles outbreak and high malnutrition have led to the deaths of 1,200 refugee children under five in Sudan’s White Nile State while many thousands more, including newborns, are at risk of death by the end of the year, UN humanitarians warned on Tuesday.
”More than 1,200 refugee children under five have died in nine camps in the period between 15 May and 14 September,” said Dr. Allen Maina, Chief of Public Health at the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR). “This is due to a combination of a suspected measles outbreak and high malnutrition. Over 3,000 suspected cases of measles have been reported in the same period.”
Since fighting erupted in April between Sudan’s army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, the country's healthcare sector has been "brought to its knees", subjected to direct attacks from the warring parties as well as shortages of staff and medicines, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) told reporters in Geneva.
Meanwhile, the UN’s 2023 Sudan Humanitarian Response Plan launched in May remains only 30 per cent funded.
According to James Elder, UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) spokesperson, “every month, 55,000 children require treatment for the most lethal form of malnutrition and yet in Khartoum, one in 50 nutrition centers is functional. In West Darfur, it's one in ten.”
Dr Ilham Nour, Sudan Health Operations Team Lead at WHO said that “3.4 million children under five are acutely malnourished, with close to 700,000 who are severely malnourished and among these 100,000 are acutely malnourished with medical complications.”
Since the start of the war, WHO has verified 56 attacks on health care, resulting in 11 deaths and 38 injuries.
“Against the background context of attacks on healthcare, scarcity of medical supplies and equipment, health workers and cash to cover operational cost,” said WHO’s Dr Nour. “About 70 to 80 per cent of hospitals in conflict affected states are nonfunctional, and the operational hospitals and clinics in non-conflict affected states are overwhelmed by the influx of internally displaced persons. Even before the conflict erupted in April, the baseline was already grim.”
With the lack of access to treatment, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) warned that “many thousands of newborns” may die in Sudan by the end of the year.
“330,000 children will be born in Sudan between October and December. They and their mothers, as you heard, do need skilled delivery care rather in a country where millions are trapped, millions are lacking access to those basic healthcare services, and there are of course grave shortages of medical supply. Such care is becoming less and less likely by the day,” said UNICEF's James Elder.
Children are also directly impacted by the ongoing fighting.
“The most recent official casualty figures for children killed in this conflict by fighting are 435”, said Mr. Elder. “Given the utter devastation that you've heard to those lifesaving services, UNICEF fears Sudan's youngest citizens are entering a period of unprecedented mortality.”
In neighbouring South Sudan, which has received over 276,000 people who fled Sudan due to the conflict, most of them South Sudanese returnees, malnutrition is "deepening at a rapid scale", UNHCR's Dr. Maina said.
Across South Sudan over 5,000 suspected cases of measles have been reported, with over 140 deaths so far. Children younger than five are worst impacted, accounting for nearly 70 per cent of all cases and 76 per cent of all the deaths, according to the UNHCR public health chief.
Dr. Maina added that “half of the affected children were unvaccinated against measles, highlighting gaps in immunization, especially amongst returnees and refugees. On average, 103 children per month were admitted in health facilities for moderate or severe malnutrition between May and July.”
-ends-
Story: Health emergency in Sudan - UNICEF, WHO, UNHCR
DURATION (TRT): 3’29"
SOURCE: UNTV CH
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH/NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16/9
DATELINE: 19 September 2023, GENEVA SWITZERLAND
FORMAT: HYBRID PRESS BRIEFING
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
The UN Human Rights Office on Friday voiced concerns about the severe impacts on human rights of the socio-economic crisis in Cuba.
1
1
1
Edited News | WFP
Madagascar: ‘Overwhelming’ destruction, surging needs after back-to-back cyclones – WFP
Some 10 days after tropical cyclone Fytia brought heavy rains and flooding to Madagascar, cyclone Gezani has left the island’s main port in ruins, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN rights chief urges de-escalation in Tigray amid rising tensions and violence.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , OHCHR
In Sudan, sick and starving children ‘wasting away’ – UN humanitarians
Relentless violence, famine and disease are picking off Sudan’s children while attacks on healthcare and a lack of aid access hamper efforts to help them, UN humanitarian agencies warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk on Monday gave an update to the Human Rights Council on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
“A series of new Israeli operations and settlement plans in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, risk seriously undermining the viability of a Palestinian state and the realisation of the Palestinians’ right to self-determination,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNIS
UN voices concern over chemical spraying incident on Lebanon’s Blue Line
The UN reiterated concerns on Friday at reports that Israeli forces sprayed herbicide over areas north of the Blue Line separating Lebanon from Israel. The development poses a “serious humanitarian risk” to civilians living there, said the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), briefing journalists in Geneva.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
Gaza: Five patients evacuated as Rafah reopens while ‘too many stayed behind’ – WHO
As time is running out for thousands of critically ill patients in Gaza, hope is alive for medical evacuations to increase with the reopening of the Rafah crossing in the southern part of the Strip, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNOG , OHCHR
This Sunday marks five years of crisis in Myanmar. Jeremy Laurence, spokesperson for the UN Human Rights, and James Rodehaver, chief of the Myanmar team, today spoke on the conduct of recent military-imposed elections, deploring the failure to respect the fundamental human rights of the country’s citizens. The process served only to exacerbate violence and societal polarization.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF
Brutal Gaza war erased years of progress on education, in an “assault on the future itself” – UNICEF
Restoring Gaza’s shattered education system is “lifesaving” and getting children back into schools must be an immediate priority, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , HRC
Volker Türk, the UN Human Rights High Commissioner, made the following remarks during a briefing to a Special Session on Iran at the Human Rights Council.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNRWA , UNOPS , UNIS
Amid the launch of President Trump's Board of Peace and reconstruction talks on Gaza, UN aid agencies insisted on Friday that what Gazans need most is immediate relief from the ongoing humanitarian catastrophe there.