UN Chief urges countries to ‘do everything’ against COVID-19, thanks China’s people for sacrifice
While the World Health Organization (WHO) declared that the COVID-19 outbreak should not be described as a pandemic because it is not spreading uncontrollably, UN Secretary-General on Monday urged all countries to “do everything” to contain the disease.
“I think it’s important to say that all countries - and this is now a problem that is affecting many countries in the world – all countries must do everything to be prepared and all countries must do everything respecting naturally the principle of non-discrimination, without stigmatization, respecting human rights; doing everything that they can to contain the disease,” said António Guterres.
Although it was still possible to contain the disease “if some fail, if some do not do everything that is needed, this can still become out of control with dramatic consequences for global health and the global economy”, he warned.
Earlier, WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told journalists that while a “sudden increase” in new cases outside China was very concerning, what was most needed was containment, not scaremongering.
As of 6am Geneva time on Monday, China reported a total of 77,362 cases of COVID-19, including 2,618 deaths, he said.
Outside China, “there are now 2074 cases in 28 countries, and 23 deaths...The sudden increases of cases in Italy, the Islamic Republic of Iran and the Republic of Korea are deeply concerning,” he said.
In the past 24 hours, China reported 416 new confirmed cases, and 150 deaths, Dr Tedros noted, adding that the WHO team of experts which visited China had found that the epidemic “peaked and plateaued” between 23 January and 2 February “and has been declining steadily since then”.
Speaking in Geneva at WHO headquarters, Mr Guterres reiterated his “strong appeal” to countries “to assume their responsibilities and knowing that they can fully count on WHO to support them in that effort”.
On the need to support the UN health agency’s $675 million appeal to stop coronavirus from spreading further, Mr Guterres insisted that “if there is something stupid to do in today’s world, it is to not fully fund WHO appeals. Because WHO appeals are vital to support Member States to avoid these tragic diseases to become a global nightmare.”
Answering a reporter’s question in French, he said: ”I can tell you that the information I received from the WHO after the (experts’) visit to China, is that since the beginning of February, the number of cases is starting to fall. I hope that this situation continues in a constant way, and my message to all those who now in China are having to go without a lot of things that are part of normal life, is a message of gratitude – because these are sacrifices that have been made by people who’ve been deprived of all the positive things of life that we enjoy. Those who’ve been deprived of those things to avoid the virus spreading are in the process of doing a great service for humanity.”
1
1
1
Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR
Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine
A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | IFRC , OCHA , UNCTAD , UNHCR , WHO
UNCTAD: Trade and Development Foresights 2026, update on Trade and Development Report 2025; WHO: Update on WHA and Ebola in Congo and Uganda; UNHCR: Ebola - concerns for displaced people and humanitarian operations; IFRC: Red Cross response to the Ebola outbreak
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF
At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | OCHA , UNICEF , UNOG , WFP , FAO , WHO , UNEP , ILO , WMO
UN Geneva press briefing chaired by Rolando Gómez, Chief, Press and External Relations Section, UN Information Service, with the participation of representatives of OCHA, UNICEF, WFP, FAO, WHO, UNEP, ILO and WMO.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , WHO
Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn
Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.
1
1
2
Press Conferences | UN WOMEN , UNDP , UNEP , UNICEF , WHO
UN WOMEN: Ukraine war deadlier for women and girls; UNICEF: West Bank and East Jerusalem: children targeted by violence and dismantling of systems and services; WHO: Gaza, medical rehabilitation needs; UNDP: South Sudan: fragility, elections, peacebuilding, justice and resilience; UNEP: Sand and Sustainability report.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | UNEP
Launch of the United Nations Environment Programme’s report: ‘2026 Sand and Sustainability: An Essential Resource for Nature and Development’.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.
1
1
1
Press Conferences | UN WOMEN , WFP , WHO
UN Women - The situation of women and girls in Lebanon; WFP - Deteriorating humanitarian conditions in Somalia; WHO - Hantavirus interim update