United Nations International Media Seminar on Peace in the Middl
/
0
/
JPG
/
5.2 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | OCHA

UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing Ukraine Aid Delivery OCHA 23 April 2021

UN-led aid convoy brings 23 tonnes of humanitarian goods across contact line in east Ukraine

Twenty-three tonnes of urgently-needed aid items have reached eastern Ukraine’s Donetsk Oblast after a humanitarian convoy crossed the contact line into non-government-controlled territory, the UN said on Friday.

This is the second UN-organised convoy to pass through the Novotroitske crossing point since it reopened for the delivery of humanitarian cargo a little over a week ago.

The crossing is currently the only one that is operational for humanitarian aid deliveries along the contact line. It had been closed for humanitarian cargo movement since 24 February owing to security concerns.

“The opening is welcome as needs remain very high with nearly 1.7 million people in need of assistance in the non-government-controlled areas of Donetsk and Luhansk,” said Jens Laerke, spokesperson for United Nations humanitarian office (OCHA).

The first delivery was on 15 April, when five trucks crossed with 18 tons of COVID-19 supplies to the non-government-controlled area in Donetsk (NGCA).

Restrictions to aid delivery

"Since March last year, we have seen an almost complete closure of civilian crossings over the contact line due to COVID-19 restrictions,” Mr Laerke told journalists in Geneva.

“For humanitarian deliveries, only this one crossing point was available, where we used to have four or five,” he added.

The recent surge in hostilities along the “contact line” after seven months of relative calm following the July 2020 ceasefire has also resulted in more hardship and security risks for people forced to cross the contact line to access essential services.

Unconfirmed reports have indicated that people have resorted to taking the uncontrolled Ukrainian-Russian crossing point, which can be subject to administrative fines and legal challenges, in addition to incurring high travel costs.

Access restrictions to non-government-controlled areas have “a direct impact on the capacity of the UN and our humanitarian partners to help the affected people”, said Mr Laerke.

The current COVID-19 situation in the country means that needs are “obviously not decreasing but rather increasing”, he continued.

“In March, Ukraine experienced the tripling of the number of COVID-19 cases nationwide compared with February, so the curve is going up and not down,” explained Mr Laerke.

“But access is not the only challenge. Our 2021 Humanitarian Response Plan for Ukraine requires $168 million but remains severely underfunded at 13 per cent,” he added.

  1. Exterior wide shot, Place des Nations and Palais des Nations’ entrance, a sunny day.
  2. Wide shot, podium with speakers in a near-empty Room XIV in line with COVID-19 distancing measures, Palais des Nations.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) — Jens Laerke, spokesperson for OCHA (UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs): “In Ukraine, we had a United Nations organized humanitarian convoy yesterday, delivering 23 tonnes of hygiene items to the Donetsk Oblast through the Novotroitske crossing point. This is the second UN convoy through this point since the re-opening for delivery of humanitarian cargo a little over a week ago. It is the only one operational for humanitarian aid deliveries on the contact line.”
  4. Medium shot, podium with speakers to rear, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) — Jens Laerke, spokesperson for OCHA (UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs): “The first delivery since the re-opening was on 15 April when five trucks crossed with 18 tonnes of COVID-19 supplies to Donetsk which is a non-government-controlled area. The crossing point was closed earlier for humanitarian cargos on 24 February and that was due to security concerns by the parties.”
  6. Medium wide shot, journalist sitting in front of laptop and podium with speakers to rear, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) — Jens Laerke, spokesperson for OCHA (UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs): “The opening is welcome as needs remain very high with nearly 1.7 million people in need of assistance in the non-government-controlled areas of Donetsk and Luhansk. The elderly, people with disabilities, female-headed households and children are amongst the most vulnerable.”
  8. Medium shot, journalist listening and wearing mask, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) — Jens Laerke, spokesperson for OCHA (UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs): “Since March of last year you may recall we have seen an almost complete closing of civilian crossings over the contact line due to COVID-19 restrictions. For humanitarian deliveries, only this one crossing point was available, where we used to have five.”
  10. Medium shot, Un staff member typing on laptop, Room XIV, Palais des Nations
  11. SOUNDBITE (English) — Jens Laerke, spokesperson for OCHA (UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs): “These restrictions to non-government-controlled areas obviously have a direct impact on the capacity of the UN and our humanitarian partners to help the affected people, but restrictions is not the only challenge. Our Humanitarian Response Plan, which requires $168 million, remains 13 per cent funded.”
  12. Medium shot, Un staff member sitting in front of laptop, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  13. SOUNDBITE (English) — Jens Laerke, spokesperson for OCHA (UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs): “Almost 1.7 million people are identified as being in need of our supplies and with a long-time closure of course the needs are obviously not decreasing but rather increasing and for that, we certainly need the access and we need the funding.”
  14. Medium shot, TV broadcasting in foreground and podium to rear, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  15. SOUNDBITE (English) — Jens Laerke, spokesperson for OCHA (UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs): “In March, Ukraine experienced a tripling of the number of COVID-19 cases nationwide compared with February, so the curve is going up and not down.”
  16. Medium shot, journalist listening, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  17. Close-up, camera lens filming, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.

Similar Stories

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , WHO

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA ENG FRA

Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground

In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

Celestial sphere reopening

1

11

1

1

Edited News , B-roll , Images | UNOG

Celestial sphere reopening ENG

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire

1

1

1

Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire ENG FRA

Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.

Ebola update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine

A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes ENG FRA

A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.