Typhoon’s impact on Philippines hugely reduced by pre-emptive measures, UN says
Typhoon Goni’s impact on the Philippines last week would have been far worse if not for a widescale evacuation and other damage-mitigation actions taken before the storm hit, the United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in the Philippines, Gustavo Gonzalez, said on Tuesday.
“If we take into account the latest from the government in terms of impact on people, the numbers are 25 dead, 399 injured, seven missing. And this relatively small death toll shows that, again, early actions taken by the government to mitigate the impact were very successful”, Mr. Gonzalez told a regular briefing of journalists in Geneva via videolink.
The country has worked hard to improve its early warning systems and preparedness since Typhoon Haiyan claimed over 6,000 lives in November 2013.
“We are learning from Haiyan, and this is an example of resilience building, the importance of these early warnings and this massive, huge pre-emptive evacuation, and this is one of the reasons for the low numbers of casualties”, Mr. Gonzalez said.
“Of course, there is a sentiment of suffering and deprivation, but at the same time people start rebuilding their houses, particularly in the coast, that was the most affected by the by the typhoon. So this is perhaps the positive side of the resilience building. But again, we enter into the season of typhoons, we have La Niña also as a threat.”
On Monday, the United Nations launched a $45.5 million appeal to support some 260,000 disaster-affected people, many of whom were already living in poverty prior to the disaster wrought by Typhoon Goni, which is known locally as Rolly.
“We need to ensure that the least for the coming three months we respond to the needs of the most affected groups. So this is the time we need resources, and we would like to count on your support in making sure that we advocate for this contribution to the response plan in the field”, Mr. Gonzalez said.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNRWA
The head of the UN agency for Palestinian refugees, UNRWA, repeated his urgent call for a ceasefire in Gaza on Friday, amid increased military Israeli activity in the enclave’s largest city.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , WHO
Amid reports of increased Israeli military operations across Gaza City on Friday, UN aid agencies repeated urgent warnings of ongoing famine and a likely rise in preventable disease, linked to the dire living conditions in the war-shattered enclave.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN calls for Iran to halt executions and move towards ending the death penalty.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
The UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan made the following comment on the killing of journalists in Gaza at the bi-weekly press briefing.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
The UN Human Rights Office on Tuesday called on Egyptian authorities to end the practice known as “rotation”, which allows Government critics to be held arbitrarily and for prolonged periods.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN Human Rights Spokesperson Jeremy Laurence on deadly attacks by the Rapid Support Forces in Sudan
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , OHCHR , UNITED NATIONS , WFP , WHO
Gaza: Famine “irrefutably” confirmed, UN humanitarians unite in plea for aid access
Famine has been confirmed in Gaza Governorate by the world’s top authority on food security and will spread further within the Strip unless fighting stops and much more aid is allowed in, UN humanitarians said on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN Human Rights Spokesperson Jeremy Laurence on the eighth anniversary of military assault on the Rohingya in Myanmar
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN Human Rights Spokesperson Jeremy Laurence on the declared famine in Gaza Governorate
3
36
1
2
Edited News , Statements , Images , Conferences | HRC , OCHA , UNOG
A record 383 aid workers were killed last year with hundreds more wounded, kidnapped and detained, the UN’s top aid official said on Tuesday in a call for accountability, at a solemn ceremony in Geneva to mark World Humanitarian Day.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN Human Rights Office spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan made the following statement at today’s biweekly press briefing in Geneva:
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
“In Gaza, the Israeli army has intensified its attacks in the north of the strip,” UN Human Rights Office spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the biweekly press briefing in Geneva on Tuesday.