Ebola DRC update - WHO, IOM, IFRC
/
2:38
/
MP4
/
194.6 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | WHO , IOM , IFRC

Ebola DRC update - WHO, IOM, IFRC

Ebola in DRC: first month of outbreak sees record number of cases – UN humanitarians

Ebola has been spreading at unprecedented speed in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), bringing risk and fear into people’s daily lives, UN humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Dr Abdirahman Mahamud, Director, Health Emergency Alert and Response Operations at the World Health Organization (WHO), who returned last week from one month in the DRC, said that as of Monday, there are 1,048 confirmed cases reported, of which 267 deaths.

“This is the largest number of confirmed cases in the first month of an Ebola disease outbreak in Africa,” he said.

During the current outbreak due to the Bundibugyo species of Ebola virus, declared on 15 May, it only took 37 days to reach 250 deaths, Dr Mahamud explained, while in comparison, it took 78 days to reach that number in the 2014 and 2016 West Africa outbreak, and 130 days in the 2018-2019 outbreak.

Ugochi Daniels, Deputy Director General for Operations at the UN International Organization for Migration (IOM), highlighted the dramatic impact of the disease on families, who are carrying “immense burdens”.

“Everyday life has become fraught with risk,” she insisted. “The journey to feed your family or earn a living can also become a journey into danger.”

The virus has become “more than a health crisis,” she explained. “It touches every aspect of daily life, bringing uncertainty and fear.”

Ms. Daniels said that the outbreak is “centered on areas where people cross borders every day.” An effective response therefore requires maintaining surveillance as formal and informal cross-border movements continue, she explained, among communities affected by conflict and insecurity.

Since the start of the response, IOM and partners have screened over a million travelers “at key points of entry and along major mobility corridors”, she said.

The IOM official said that out of $55.8 million required to support cross-border coordination and surveillance across 11 countries over the next six months a funding gap of some $35 million remains.

“What is needed in order for us to get ahead of the outbreak is a collective commitment to ensure that the effort is now fully resourced,” she insisted.

WHO’s Dr Mahamud noted encouraging signs that the response has been expanding to keep pace with the spread.

The number of treatment beds has increased over the last two weeks, “going from a handful to over 500 beds across 19 health zones,” he said.

At the same time, surveillance has been scaled up, with laboratory capacity going from 30 tests a day in Kinshasa at the start of the outbreak to over 2,000 tests per day through a network of eight decentralized labs across Ituri, North Kivu and South Kivu.

Paolo Cravero, Senior Officer, Communications and Media Relations at the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), highlighted safe and dignified burials as another pillar of the response. IFRC has been delivering dedicated kits and body bags to the affected areas despite their remote location and security challenges, he said.

“Like in any crisis, any outbreak, such as Ebola, the tension tends to grow,” Mr. Cravero stressed. “And we have seen violence against our volunteers at [safe and dignified burial] sites.”

The IFRC spokesperson highlighted “a lack of trust in the response,” insisting that the organization is “working hard with communities to bridge that gap.”

“Rumour and misinformation are creating some difficulties,” he acknowledged.

-ends-

STORY Ebola DRC update – WHO, IOM, IFRC

TRT: 2:38’’

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH/NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 23 JUNE 2026 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

1. Exterior wide shot: Palais des Nations, Flag Alley.

2. Medium shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference.

3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr Abdirahman Mahamud, Director, Health Emergency Alert and Response Operations, World Health Organization (WHO): “As of yesterday, there are 1,048 confirmed cases reported, of which 267 deaths. This is the largest number of confirmed cases in the first month of an Ebola disease outbreak in Africa. It took 78 days to reach 250 deaths during the 2014 and 2016 West Africa outbreak. In the previous outbreak, 2018-19, it took 130 days, but for this outbreak, it only took 37 days.”

4. Medium-wide shot: Journalists in the Press room; speaker on screens.

5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Ugochi Daniels, Deputy Director General for Operations, International Organization for Migration (IOM): “In the Eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, everyday life has become fraught with risk. The journey to feed your family or earn a living can also become a journey into danger. Families are carrying immense burdens. The virus has become more than a health crisis. It touches every aspect of daily life, bringing uncertainty and fear.”

6. Medium reverse shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr Abdirahman Mahamud, Director, Health Emergency Alert and Response Operations, World Health Organization (WHO): “The number of treatment beds has increased over the last two weeks, going from a handful to over 500 beds across 19 health zones. I visited several centres, saw the partners working with the local health workers, saw various sick patients and those who had recovered.”

8. Wide reverse shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr Abdirahman Mahamud, Director, Health Emergency Alert and Response Operations, World Health Organization (WHO): “Surveillance has been scaled up, and the laboratory capacity has gone from 30 tests a day at the start of this outbreak in Kinshasa to now over 2,000 tests per day through a network of eight decentralized labs across Ituri, North Kivu and South Kivu.”

10. Medium-shot: Journalists in the Press room; speaker on screens.

11. SOUNDBITE (English) – Paolo Cravero, Senior Officer, Communications and Media Relations, International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC): “Like in any crisis, any outbreak, such as Ebola, the tension tends to grow. And we have seen violence against our volunteers at SDB [safe and dignified burial] sites. And that is because, as we discussed last week and has been discussed in other occasions, there is a lack of trust in the response, and we're working hard with communities to bridge that gap.”

12. Various shots: Journalists in the Press room.


Audio Files 1
Download Ebola DRC update - WHO, IOM, IFRC (Edited Story)
Download Expired

Similar Stories

Somalia child hunger - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Somalia child hunger - UNICEF ENG FRA

Somalia: child hunger surges as humanitarian aid dries up – UNICEF

The global funding crisis for vital lifesaving work is taking a growing toll on the most vulnerable children in Somalia, where hundreds of health and nutrition facilities have been forced to close, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) warned on Friday

DRC Ebola update - OCHA

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA

DRC Ebola update - OCHA ENG FRA

As the deadliest Ebola outbreak in DR Congo’s history continued spreading on Friday, UN responders renewed their urgent appeal for immediate international support, with existing funding for lifesaving work critically low.

Ebola DRC update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola DRC update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC: In the fight against Ebola, bikers transporting dead bodies hold key to community engagement - WHO

From the frontlines of the deadliest-ever Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the UN’s World Health Organization (WHO) shared details on Tuesday of a massive push for community engagement, a day after yet another ambulance attack.

Sudan maternal healthcare crisis - UNFPA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNFPA

Sudan maternal healthcare crisis - UNFPA ENG FRA

Sudan: The harrowing reality of giving birth in a war zone 

Sudanese women about to give birth are losing their babies and sometimes their own lives because of a lack of specialist healthcare support, amid the ongoing war, UN humanitarians said on Friday.

Colombia earthquake update - OCHA, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , WHO

Colombia earthquake update - OCHA, WHO ENG FRA

Colombia earthquake: International teams ready to support, says UN

As earthquake rescue efforts across western Colombia continued on Tuesday, UN agencies said that they stood ready to help “with everything we've got” if and when the request came from the authorities.

Myanmar crisis:  Human Rights Council probe

2

1

2

Edited News , Press Conferences | HRC

Myanmar crisis: Human Rights Council probe ENG FRA

Myanmar's military has carried out a sustained campaign of deliberate attacks on civilians – including airstrikes on homes, schools and camps for displaced people, alongside arbitrary detention, torture and sexual violence –  Human Rights Council-appointed investigators said on Tuesday.

Peacocks return to UN Geneva

1

6

1

1

Edited News | UNOG

Peacocks return to UN Geneva ENG FRA

In a new twist on panda diplomacy, UN Geneva welcomed five young peacocks to the Palace of Nations on Friday, a gift of India that preserves a tradition of keeping the stately birds in the grounds, that predates both the global body and its ill-fated predecessor, the League of Nations.

Afghanistan nutrition crisis – WFP

1

1

1

Edited News | WFP

Afghanistan nutrition crisis – WFP ENG FRA

Afghanistan’s hunger crisis intensifies as millions go without food aid – WFP     

Afghanistan’s dire hunger crisis now affects 14 million people including babies fed on weak tea and a little bread by their despairing and dirt-poor parents.

In a new alert on Tuesday, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said that one in three Afghans is now in the grip of acute food insecurity and that it lacks the resources to contain the deepening crisis.

 

Human trafficking in online scams - IOM

1

1

2

Edited News | IOM

Human trafficking in online scams - IOM ENG FRA

From fake jobs to forced crime: IOM sounds alarm on human trafficking behind online scams

A job offer can conceal a criminal network and a single click can lead to a nightmare. Lured by false promises of legitimate employment abroad, hundreds of thousands of people are being trafficked each year, held captive and forced to carry out online scams.

Ahead of World Day Against Trafficking in Persons marked on 30 July, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is raising the alarm over a rapidly expanding multibillion-dollar criminal industry that turns job seekers into victims of forced cybercrime.

El Obeid drone attacks – UN Women

1

1

1

Edited News | UN WOMEN

El Obeid drone attacks – UN Women ENG FRA

In Sudan’s El Obeid, women risk drone attacks by day and rape by night to access water       

As war intensifies in the city of El Obeid in North Kordofan state, filling up a jerrycan of water comes at a high risk for women and girls: by day, drones strike water points and by night, women who venture out to fill a bucket risk rape. UN Women warns of a dual terror that has turned access to water into a deadly gamble.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo made the following remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan and Danielle Bell Head of Mission Ukraine on the deepening impact on civilians of the war in Ukraine

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan and Danielle Bell Head of Mission Ukraine on the deepening impact on civilians of the war in Ukraine ENG FRA

At the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva, Thameen Al-Kheetan, spokesperson for the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, and Danielle Bell, head of UN Human Rights’ Ukraine team, spoke of the deepening impact of the war on the civilian population.