Edited News | OHCHR , UNITED NATIONS
UN rights office warns over violent escalation in Yemen and beyond
Escalating conflict in Yemen has seen an alarming number of air and drone strikes already this year, notably against civilians and non-military targets, the UN rights office, OHCHR, said on Tuesday.
“We are deeply concerned by the continuing escalation of the conflict in Yemen. Overnight, air strikes by the Saudi-led coalition on the capital, Sana’a, are reported to have left at least five civilians dead,” said OHCHR spokesperson Ravina Shamdasani. “According to preliminary information, those killed were five members of the same family, including two women and a child, when a house was hit in Ma’in district of the city at around 9.25pm.”
The air attacks on Yemen’s capital city followed missile and drone strikes on coalition partner the United Arab Emirates targets on Monday. Claimed by Ansar Allah forces - also known as Houthis – the attacks hit Abu Dhabi’s International airport and a nearby industrial area, reportedly leaving three civilians dead.
Latest data from OHCHR indicates that the level of violence this month could soon surpass that witnessed in December, judging by the number of airstrikes, drones and rockets employed by all sides to the long-running war.
“Figures collected by our office indicate that, so far in January, there were 839 airstrikes by the Saudi-led coalition, compared with 1,074 for the whole of December,” explained Ms. Shamdasani, speaking at UN Geneva. “There were some 16 drone strikes, and 12 ballistic missiles and three other projectiles fired by Ansar Allah forces towards Saudi territory in December. To date in January, reports indicate there have been 10 drone strikes towards Saudi Arabia.”
In a statement on Monday, UN Secretary-General António Guterres, condemned the violent escalation and stressed that attacks on civilians and civilian infrastructure are prohibited by international humanitarian law.
“The Secretary-General condemns yesterday's attacks on the Abu Dhabi International Airport and in nearby industrial Mussafah area which reportedly caused several civilian casualties and are being claimed by the Houthis,” said Alessandra Vellucci, Director of the UN Information Service at UN Geneva, reading the UN chief’s statement. “Attacks on civilians and civilian infrastructure are prohibited by international humanitarian law. The Secretary-General calls upon all parties to exercise maximum restraint and prevent any escalation amid heightened tensions in the region.”
Ms. Shamdasani explained that the year’s hostilities began with a large counter-offensive by Government forces against Houthis in Shabwah Governorate to the south-west of oil-rich Marib.
The fighting is now pushing further into Marib and Al Baydah Governorates, the OHCHR spokesperson said, with “dozens of airstrikes and artillery strikes launched by the parties with seemingly little regard for civilians” in recent days.
“On 13 January, airstrikes by the Saudi-led coalition injured four civilians and partially damaged the emergency and in-patient departments of a hospital in Al Sawad area, Sanhan district, in Sana'a Governorate,” Ms. Shamdasani continued. “It was reported that the airstrikes targeted a military camp, which is located close to the hospital.”
All parties must ensure the protection of civilians and civilian objects, in line with their obligations under international law, the OHCHR spokesperson insisted.
“Parties to the conflict must take all feasible measure to verify that targets are indeed military objectives and suspend an attack if it becomes apparent that the target is not a military objective or that the attack would be disproportionate. Failure to respect the principles of distinction and proportionality could amount to war crimes.”
ends
STORY: Yemen Conflict Escalation – OHCHR, UNOG
TRT: 3 mins 06s
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 18 January 2022 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
SHOTLIST
1
1
1
Edited News | UNRWA , WHO
Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground
In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.
1
1
1
Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR
Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine
A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF
At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , WHO
Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn
Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC
Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.
1
1
Edited News | WHO
Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO
Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.