UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: Search And Rescue Operations In Italy - UNHCR
/
2:14
/
MP4
/
164.5 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | UNHCR

UNOG Bi-weekly press briefing: Search And Rescue Operations In Italy - UNHCR

“Italy: More than 450 migrants rescued in the Mediterranean disembark in Sicily signaling a sharp rise in sea arrivals in 2021 so far - UNHCR”

Following the latest rescue operations of migrants to Italy by Charity Ships in the Central Mediterranean, the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) warned today of mounting refugee and migrant deaths in the Central Mediterranean with a 170 per cent increase of sea arrivals in Italy in 2021 compared to the same period in 2020.

Speaking from the port of Trapani in Sicily, UNHCR’s spokesperson for Italy, Carlotta Sami, told journalists at a briefing at the United Nations in Geneva that “over 450 persons, among them 190 minors, are disembarking following rescue and six different operations by the NGO vessel ‘Sea Watch’.

She added that “since the very early hour of Saturday 1st of May, some 1,500 persons have disembarked in Italy following rescue by the Italian Coast Guard and Custom police or by international NGOs in the Central Mediterranean.”

The majority of arrivals departed from Libya onboard in flimsy, unseaworthy vessels.

UNHCR has witnessed a great number of children among the migrants - many of them are unaccompanied.

The majority of migrants originate from Mali, and the Sahel/West Africa, Eritrea and North Africa. Many are fleeing from war and conflicts, like in the Sahel, where indiscriminate attacks constantly lead to death and forced displacement, or they are fleeing persecution and being trafficked.

However, according to UNHCR’s global statistics, movements to Europe represent only a small part of the global refugees’ situation. Eighty per cent of people who flee stay within their region of origin.

“5.5 millions of refugees and IDPs are in the Sahel Countries so what we see here, in Italy, is just the tip of the iceberg”, said Carlotta Sami. “The latest disembarkation in any case brings the number of sea arrivals to Italy in 2021 to 10,400. This is more than a 170 per cent increase compared to 2020.”

UNHCR gathered testimonies during the past few days, including from children, who speak of imprisonment and brutalities inflicted with no respect for human life, while survivors often show severe mental health problems as a result of the traumas they have faced.

UNHCR commends Italy for keeping its ports open during the pandemic but appeals to other European countries to step up its efforts to strengthen the protection of persons travelling along this route and to provide safe alternatives to these dangerous and desperate journeys.

“Solidarity from the other EU members is urgently needed”, said UNHCR’s Carlotta Sami. UNHCR is deeply concerned about the death toll. So far in 2021, at least 500 persons are known to have lost life trying to make the sea crossing in the Central Med.

She added that “in 2020, there were 150 in this period of the year, so we have an increase of 200 per cent. Of course, the tragic loss of lives underscores once again the need to re-establish a system coordinated by States for search and rescue operations in the Central Mediterranean.”

For UNHCR, this tragic loss of life underscores once again the need to reestablish a system for search and rescue operations in the Central Mediterranean coordinated by States. The deteriorating situation in Libya will continue to force people to resort to desperate measures to seek safety.

Legal pathways such as humanitarian corridors, evacuations, resettlement and family reunification must be expanded.

  1. Exterior wide shot, Palais des Nations flag alley, nations’ flags flying, a cloudy day.
  2. Wide shot, podium with speakers in a near-empty Room XIV in line with COVID-19 distancing measures, Palais des Nations.
  3. SOUNDBITE (English) — Carlotta Sami, UNHCR Senior Spokesperson in Italy: “Over 450 persons, among them 190 minors, are disembarking following rescue and six different operations by the NGO vessel Sea Watch. Since the very early hour of Saturday 1st of May, some 1,500 persons have disembarked in Italy following rescue by the Italian Coast Guard and Custom police or by international NGOs in the Central Mediterranean.”
  4. Medium shot, attendee typing on laptop, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  5. SOUNDBITE (English) — Carlotta Sami, UNHCR Senior Spokesperson in Italy: “5.5 millions of refugees and IDPs are in the Sahel Countries so what we see here, in Italy, is just the tip of the iceberg. The latest disembarkation in any case brings the number of sea arrivals to Italy in 2021 to 10,400. This is more than a 170 per cent increase compared to 2020.”
  6. Medium shot, attendee typing on laptop to rear, side shot, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  7. SOUNDBITE (English) — Carlotta Sami, UNHCR Senior Spokesperson in Italy: “Solidarity from the other EU members is urgently needed. Also, UNHCR is deeply concerned about the death toll. So far in 2021, at least 500 persons are known to have lost life trying to make the sea crossing in the Central Med.
  8. Medium shot, attendee using listening device Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  9. SOUNDBITE (English) — Carlotta Sami, UNHCR Senior Spokesperson in Italy: “In 2020, there were 150 in this period of the year, so we have an increase of 200 per cent. Of course, the tragic loss of lives underscores once again the need to re-establish a system coordinated by States for search and rescue operations in the Central Mediterranean.”
  10. Wide shot, podium to rear and TV broadcasting in foreground, Room XIV, Palais des Nations
  11. Medium shot, attendees using listening devices, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.
  12. Medium shot, attendee sitting in front of laptop in foreground and TV broadcasting to rear, Room XIV, Palais des Nations.

Similar Stories

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA

1

1

1

Edited News | UNRWA , WHO

Gaza health update - WHO, UNRWA ENG FRA

Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground

In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Shabia Mantoo on involuntary returns to Afghanistan ENG FRA

UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.

Celestial sphere reopening

1

11

1

1

Edited News , B-roll , Images | UNOG

Celestial sphere reopening ENG

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire

1

1

1

Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR

Flak jackets and final goodbyes: Lebanon’s first responders under fire ENG FRA

Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.

Ebola update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Ebola update - WHO ENG FRA

DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine

A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

UN report on Occupied Palestinian territory large scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes ENG FRA

A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF

Somalia famine risk – OCHA, UNICEF ENG FRA

At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO

Occupied West Bank, Gaza update - UNICEF, WHO ENG FRA

Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn

Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.

Hantavirus update - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus update - WHO ENG FRA

The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC

1

1

1

Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC

Lebanon emergency update - UNHCR, IFRC ENG FRA

Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.

Hantavirus latest - WHO

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Hantavirus latest - WHO ENG FRA

Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO

Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

OHCHR - Conviction and sentencing of Kim Sokha, 33 others in Cambodia ENG FRA

UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.