Edited News | UNHCR , OCHA
UN will stand by people of Ukraine amid rising tensions in East
UN aid agencies insisted on Tuesday that they will continue to support the people of Eastern Ukraine, following Russia’s decision to recognize the independence of areas of the Donetsk and Luhansk separatist regions.
Condemning the move by Russia, UN Secretary-General António Guterres said in a statement that he considered it a “violation of the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Ukraine and inconsistent” with the UN Charter.
During Tuesday’s press briefing in Geneva, the UN humanitarian office, OCHA, said that there had been reports of increasing hostilities in areas controlled by de facto authorities in recent days. “That is a stark reminder of the reality that children, women, and men in eastern Ukraine have faced for the last eight years. We call on everybody, on all parties to protect civilians and protect the civilian infrastructure in this very volatile situation”, stressed OCHA spokesperson Jens Laerke.
“We are there and will continue to support the people in this region,” he added, pointing out that on Friday 18 February, a convoy had delivered supplies into non-government-controlled areas in the region. “So, the humanitarian response continues.”
But lack of funding is an issue and Mr. Laerke urged “the international donor community to help resource the mechanisms that are already in place for a coordinated UN humanitarian response”.
According to the UN’s 2022 Humanitarian Response Plan for Ukraine some 144,000 internally displaced persons live in government-controlled areas on Donetsk, Luhansk and other areas. The most vulnerable include older people, who represent 32 per cent of the people targeted for assistance in 2022, and the children of vulnerable families, who make up 14 per cent.
Also on Tuesday, the UN refugee agency, UNHCR, said that it was monitoring the “highly volatile and unpredictable situation” and stood ready to help in case any new humanitarian needs arise. Although the agency is not aware of any increased movements of population yet, there is a pre-existing displacement crisis caused by earlier conflict in Eastern Ukraine, UNHCR spokesperson Shabia Mantoo added - a likely reference to the 1.5 million people who’ve been forced to leave their homes since the onset of conflict in 2014.
“We’ve got a strong presence within the country,” she said. “We've been there for many years. So, the situation does remain unpredictable. But we do stand ready to support efforts by governments and other stakeholders to protect refugees and find solutions for people who are displaced in case there are any movements.”
The development follows media reports that two Ukrainian soldiers were killed by shelling overnight and 12 more were injured.
At a meeting of the Security Council on Monday night in New York, the UN’s political chief Rosemary DiCarlo warned that the risk of major conflict in Ukraine “is real and needs to be prevented at all costs”.
Ms DiCarlo told the Council that Russia’s move to recognize Donetsk and Luhansk’s independence was “in violation of Ukraine’s territorial integrity and sovereignty” and risked having regional and global repercussions. Calling on all sides to cease hostilities, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet also expressed concerns that the escalation in military action increases risk of serious human rights violations.
end
SHOTLIST
1
1
1
Edited News | UNRWA , WHO
Gaza: Life-saving medicines blocked as killing continues, disease gains ground
In Gaza, a dire humanitarian situation marked by continuing violence, rodent infestations and the spread of diseases is being made worse by blockages of essential medical supplies, UN agencies warned on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo, warned against the continuing trend of involuntary returns of Afghan refugees and asylum-seekers from host countries to Afghanistan, in violation of international human rights and refugee law, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.
1
1
1
Edited News | IFRC , OHCHR
Lebanon's first responders face high risks amid conflict, with 116 killed since March.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
DRC Ebola outbreak: hundreds of suspected cases, no vaccine
A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has health workers rushing to stop transmission while the roll out of any potential vaccine is months away, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
A UN Human Rights Office report released today covers 19 months of large-scale violations of international law including atrocity crimes, from October 2023 to the end of May 2025.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , UNICEF
At least six million people in Somalia are going days without enough food, UN aid teams warned on Friday, highlighting that nearly two million of this number are young children “at high risk of illness or death”.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF , WHO
Children shot, stabbed and pepper-sprayed in occupied West Bank; scores of Gaza amputees denied prosthetics, aid teams warn
Israeli military operations and surging settler attacks in the occupied West Bank are killing and maiming Palestinian children, while in Gaza tens of thousands with life-changing injuries lack access to treatment and rehabilitation, UN agencies warned on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
The risk of hantavirus spreading to the general population is “absolutely low”, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) stressed on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNHCR , IFRC
Death and destruction have continued unabated in Lebanon while communities are still unable to return to their homes despite a ceasefire that began on 17 April, humanitarians said on Tuesday.
1
1
Edited News | WHO
Deadly hantavirus on board cruise ship may be transmitted among humans - WHO
Hantavirus victims on a ship in the Atlantic Ocean may have been infected prior to joining the cruise and human-to-human transmission on board cannot be ruled out – although it is rare - the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN rights chief concerned by upheld convictions of Cambodian activists.