Gaza: new evacuation orders further hamper relief operations – UN humanitarians
In Gaza, repeated mass evacuation orders issued by the Israeli military are radically shrinking the space in which aid workers can operate and depriving war-weary Palestinians of desperately needed relief items and health care, UN humanitarians said on Tuesday.
Jens Laerke, spokesperson for the UN’s humanitarian affairs coordination office (OCHA), told journalists in Geneva that since Friday, the Israeli military has issued three new evacuation orders for over 19 neighbourhoods in northern Gaza and in Deir Al-Balah, “with more than 8,000 people staying in these areas, many sheltering in displacement sites”.
“That actually brings to 16 the number of mass evacuation orders that have been issued in the month of August alone,” he stressed.
According to OCHA, Gazans from areas affected by evacuation orders are “increasingly forced to concentrate within the Israeli-designated zone in Al Mawasi”, which spans about 41 square kilometres and lacks critical infrastructure and basic services. Aid delivery in the area is “limited due to access and security issues” while severe overcrowding, with the population density reaching up to 34,000 individuals per square kilometre, compounds the dire health and sanitary conditions.
Mr. Laerke said that in central Gaza’s Deir Al-Balah city, the evacuation orders have displaced UN humanitarian staff, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and service providers along with their families.
“These relocations took place at very short notice and in dangerous conditions,” he insisted.
The OCHA spokesperson highlighted concerns from humanitarians on the ground about an order issued Sunday for a part of Deir Al-Balah, affecting 15 premises hosting UN and NGO aid workers, four UN warehouses, Al Aqsa hospital, two clinics, three wells, one water reservoir and one desalination plant.
“The sum of this is that it effectively upends a whole lifesaving humanitarian hub that was set up in Deir Al-Balah after its earlier evacuation from Rafah back in May,” Mr. Laerke said. “And that, of course, severely impacts our ability to deliver essential support and services.”
The humanitarian hub was originally established in proximity to the Rafah border crossing, which until May was the main entry route for aid into the Strip. Rafah remains closed, while the western Erez crossing on the enclave’s northern border is open. The Kerem Shalom crossing in the south is “technically open for entry” but the area remains too dangerous for aid organizations to pick up aid there, Mr. Laerke said.
Humanitarian operations are ongoing “where feasible”, according to the OCHA spokesperson, considering that only 11 per cent of the territory of the Gaza Strip is not under evacuation orders.
“We're trying to work with that number and keep the operation going,” he said.
Regarding the impact of evacuation orders on hospitals and their patients, OCHA quoted NGO Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) reporting on Monday that many people had chosen to flee from the Al Aqsa Hospital in close proximity to the area designated for evacuation in Deir Al-Balah. According to the Gaza Ministry of Health, from around 650 patients, only 100 now remain in the hospital.
The UN World Health Organization (WHO)’s spokesperson Dr. Margaret Harris stressed that when health facilities are abandoned “a lot of looting occurs.”
“A lot of the equipment, things like the generators, the solar power, all the things that we have spent a lot of work to put back in - it's taken every time,” she said. “It's not just that the hospital itself doesn't function, but that the hospital is often very much damaged by the experience of the evacuation order.”
OCHA also said that delivering fuel and medical supplies to health facilities is “extremely challenging” in the context of repeated evacuation orders, recalling that last week, the Kamal Adwan and Indonesian hospitals in northern Gaza renewed appeals for the “urgent” provision of diesel to keep electricity generators functional.
Gaza’s health sector remains barely functional compared to how it was before 7 October when Hamas-led terror attacks in Israel sparked the war. As of 20 August, WHO recorded 505 health attacks in the Strip, resulting in 752 people killed, 982 injured and 32 hospitals and 63 ambulances damaged.
The development comes one week since a case of polio was confirmed for the first time in 25 years in the enclave, in a 10-month-old unvaccinated child who has suffered paralysis. In response, WHO, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and the UN agency for Palestine refugees (UNRWA) are organizing a vaccination campaign aiming to reach 645,000 children under 10 across Gaza. A full 95 per cent of them need to be vaccinated for the campaign to be successful.
Over a million vaccine doses released from the global stockpile have already arrived in the Strip, WHO’s Dr. Harris said, and training for vaccinators is set to conclude on Tuesday. Still, the modalities for safe access for the health workers have not been clarified yet and no start date has been announced for the campaign.
STORY: Gaza new evacuation orders OCHA - WHO
TRT: 2:59”
SOURCE: UNTV CH
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 27 AUGUST 2024 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
1. Exterior wide shot: Palais des Nations, Flag Alley.
2. Wide shot: Speaker at the podium of the press conference; journalists in the Press room.
3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson, UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “Since Friday, the Israeli military has issued three new evacuation orders for over 19 neighbourhoods in northern Gaza and in Deir al Balah, with more than 8,000 people staying in these areas, many sheltering in displacement sites. That actually brings to 16 the number of mass evacuation orders that have been issued in the month of August alone.”
4. Wide lateral shot: Speakers at podium from rear; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.
5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson, UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “In Deir al Balah, those orders have displaced UN humanitarian staff, NGOs and service providers along with their families. These relocations took place at very short notice and in dangerous conditions.”
6. Wide lateral shot: Speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.
7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson, UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “Our humanitarian colleagues on the ground are particularly worried about the order issued Sunday for a part of Deir al Balah. It affected 15 premises hosting UN and NGO aid workers, four UN warehouses, Al Aqsa hospital, two clinics, three wells, one water reservoir and one desalination plant.”
8. Wide lateral shot: Speakers at podium from rear; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.
9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson, UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “The sum of this is that it effectively upends a whole lifesaving humanitarian hub that was set up in Deir al Balah after its earlier evacuation from Rafah back in May - so moved again. And that, of course, severely impacts our ability to deliver essential support and services.”
10. Medium shot: Journalists in the Press room.
11. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson, UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “I want to remind you that only 11 per cent of the territory of the Gaza Strip is not under evacuation orders, 11 per cent is not under evacuation orders. So we're trying to work with that number and keep the operation going.”
12. Wide lateral shot: Speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.
13. SOUNDBITE (English) – Dr. Margaret Harris, spokesperson, UN World Health Organization (WHO): “Whenever there’s [an] evacuation order, whenever a hospital is left, a lot of looting occurs and a lot of the equipment, things like the generators, the solar power, all the things that we have spent a lot of work to put back in - it's taken every time. So, it's not just that the hospital itself doesn't function, but that the hospital is often very much damaged by the experience of the evacuation order.”
14. Various shots of journalists in the Press room.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNICEF
Somalia: child hunger surges as humanitarian aid dries up – UNICEF
The global funding crisis for vital lifesaving work is taking a growing toll on the most vulnerable children in Somalia, where hundreds of health and nutrition facilities have been forced to close, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) warned on Friday
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA
As the deadliest Ebola outbreak in DR Congo’s history continued spreading on Friday, UN responders renewed their urgent appeal for immediate international support, with existing funding for lifesaving work critically low.
1
1
1
Edited News | WHO
DRC: In the fight against Ebola, bikers transporting dead bodies hold key to community engagement - WHO
From the frontlines of the deadliest-ever Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the UN’s World Health Organization (WHO) shared details on Tuesday of a massive push for community engagement, a day after yet another ambulance attack.
1
1
1
Edited News | UNFPA
Sudan: The harrowing reality of giving birth in a war zone
Sudanese women about to give birth are losing their babies and sometimes their own lives because of a lack of specialist healthcare support, amid the ongoing war, UN humanitarians said on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , WHO
Colombia earthquake: International teams ready to support, says UN
As earthquake rescue efforts across western Colombia continued on Tuesday, UN agencies said that they stood ready to help “with everything we've got” if and when the request came from the authorities.
2
1
2
Edited News , Press Conferences | HRC
Myanmar's military has carried out a sustained campaign of deliberate attacks on civilians – including airstrikes on homes, schools and camps for displaced people, alongside arbitrary detention, torture and sexual violence – Human Rights Council-appointed investigators said on Tuesday.
1
6
1
1
Edited News | UNOG
In a new twist on panda diplomacy, UN Geneva welcomed five young peacocks to the Palace of Nations on Friday, a gift of India that preserves a tradition of keeping the stately birds in the grounds, that predates both the global body and its ill-fated predecessor, the League of Nations.
1
1
1
Edited News | WFP
Afghanistan’s hunger crisis intensifies as millions go without food aid – WFP
Afghanistan’s dire hunger crisis now affects 14 million people including babies fed on weak tea and a little bread by their despairing and dirt-poor parents.
In a new alert on Tuesday, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said that one in three Afghans is now in the grip of acute food insecurity and that it lacks the resources to contain the deepening crisis.
1
1
2
Edited News | IOM
From fake jobs to forced crime: IOM sounds alarm on human trafficking behind online scams
A job offer can conceal a criminal network and a single click can lead to a nightmare. Lured by false promises of legitimate employment abroad, hundreds of thousands of people are being trafficked each year, held captive and forced to carry out online scams.
Ahead of World Day Against Trafficking in Persons marked on 30 July, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is raising the alarm over a rapidly expanding multibillion-dollar criminal industry that turns job seekers into victims of forced cybercrime.
1
1
1
Edited News | UN WOMEN
In Sudan’s El Obeid, women risk drone attacks by day and rape by night to access water
As war intensifies in the city of El Obeid in North Kordofan state, filling up a jerrycan of water comes at a high risk for women and girls: by day, drones strike water points and by night, women who venture out to fill a bucket risk rape. UN Women warns of a dual terror that has turned access to water into a deadly gamble.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
UN Human Rights spokesperson Shabia Mantoo made the following remarks on stranded Hormuz seafarers abandoned for months at sea, at the bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG
At the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva, Thameen Al-Kheetan, spokesperson for the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, and Danielle Bell, head of UN Human Rights’ Ukraine team, spoke of the deepening impact of the war on the civilian population.