So far, the Office has documented the killing of 111 civilians, but the process of verification is ongoing, and the actual number of people killed is believed to be significantly higher, spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the biweekly press briefing in Geneva.
“Many of the cases documented were of summary executions. They appear to have been carried out on a sectarian basis, in Tartus, Latakia and Hama governorates - reportedly by unidentified armed individuals, members of armed groups allegedly supporting the caretaker authorities’ security forces, and by elements associated with the former government,” he said.
“In a number of extremely disturbing instances, entire families - including women, children and individuals hors de combat - were killed, with predominantly Alawite cities and villages targeted in particular,” he added.
According to many testimonies collected by the Office, perpetrators raided houses, asking residents whether they were Alawite or Sunni before proceeding to either kill or spare them accordingly.
“Some survivors told us that many men were shot dead in front of their families,” Al-Kheetan said.
Between 6 and 7 March, armed individuals reportedly affiliated with the former government’s security forces also raided several hospitals in Latakia, Tartus and Baniyas. They clashed with security forces of the caretaker authorities and affiliated armed groups. This reportedly resulted in dozens of civilian casualties, including patients, doctors and medical students, and damage to the hospitals.
Other violations and abuses recorded in recent days include widespread looting of homes and shops, mainly by unidentified individuals who appear to have taken advantage of the chaotic situation on the ground. Many civilians have fled their homes to rural areas, while a number also reportedly sought refuge at an airbase controlled by Russian forces in the area.
The caretaker authorities announced the end of security operations in the coastal areas on 10 March. However, intermittent clashes continue to be reported.
The UN Human Rights Office has documented accounts and footage of violations and abuses. But tensions have also been fueled by mounting hate speech, online and offline, and widespread dissemination of misinformation, including footage taken out of context, which further exacerbated fear among the population, the spokesperson said.
“We are concerned that the significant spike in hate speech and misinformation risks further inflaming tensions and damaging social cohesion in Syrian society,” he highlighted.
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk urges accountability for all these crimes. He welcomes the announcement by the caretaker authorities of an independent investigation committee and calls on them to ensure that the investigations undertaken are prompt, thorough, independent and impartial.
All those found responsible for violations must be held to account, regardless of their affiliation, in line with international law norms and standards. Victims and their families have the right to truth, justice and reparations.
“To ensure such harrowing violations and abuses are not repeated, it is imperative that the process of vetting and integrating armed factions into Syria’s military structures is in line with the country’s obligations under international human rights and humanitarian law and fully addresses the responsibility of all those who were involved in past or recent violations of human rights in Syria,” Al-Kheetan said.
For more information and media requests, please contact:
Ravina Shamdasani: +41 22 917 9169 / ravina.shamdasani@un.org
Thameen Al-Kheetan: +41 22 917 4232 / thameen.alkheetan@un.org
Tag and share - Twitter: @UNHumanRights and Facebook: unitednationshumanrights
STORY: UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan on Syria: Distressing scale of violence in coastal areas
TRT: 01:51
SOURCE: OHCHR/UNOG
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: English/NATS
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
DATELINE: 11 March 2025 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
SHOTLIST
1
1
1
Edited News | UNRWA
The head of the UN agency for Palestinian refugees, UNRWA, repeated his urgent call for a ceasefire in Gaza on Friday, amid increased military Israeli activity in the enclave’s largest city.
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , WHO
Amid reports of increased Israeli military operations across Gaza City on Friday, UN aid agencies repeated urgent warnings of ongoing famine and a likely rise in preventable disease, linked to the dire living conditions in the war-shattered enclave.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN calls for Iran to halt executions and move towards ending the death penalty.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
The UN Human Rights spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan made the following comment on the killing of journalists in Gaza at the bi-weekly press briefing.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
The UN Human Rights Office on Tuesday called on Egyptian authorities to end the practice known as “rotation”, which allows Government critics to be held arbitrarily and for prolonged periods.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN Human Rights Spokesperson Jeremy Laurence on deadly attacks by the Rapid Support Forces in Sudan
1
1
1
Edited News | OCHA , OHCHR , UNITED NATIONS , WFP , WHO
Gaza: Famine “irrefutably” confirmed, UN humanitarians unite in plea for aid access
Famine has been confirmed in Gaza Governorate by the world’s top authority on food security and will spread further within the Strip unless fighting stops and much more aid is allowed in, UN humanitarians said on Friday.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN Human Rights Spokesperson Jeremy Laurence on the eighth anniversary of military assault on the Rohingya in Myanmar
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN Human Rights Spokesperson Jeremy Laurence on the declared famine in Gaza Governorate
3
36
1
2
Edited News , Statements , Images , Conferences | HRC , OCHA , UNOG
A record 383 aid workers were killed last year with hundreds more wounded, kidnapped and detained, the UN’s top aid official said on Tuesday in a call for accountability, at a solemn ceremony in Geneva to mark World Humanitarian Day.
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
UN Human Rights Office spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan made the following statement at today’s biweekly press briefing in Geneva:
1
1
1
Edited News | OHCHR
“In Gaza, the Israeli army has intensified its attacks in the north of the strip,” UN Human Rights Office spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the biweekly press briefing in Geneva on Tuesday.