Lebanon update and appeal OCHA – OHCHR 01 October 2024
/
3:19
/
MP4
/
390.3 MB
Download Expired

Edited News | OCHA , OHCHR

Lebanon update and appeal OCHA – OHCHR 01 October 2024

Lebanon: UN launches $426 million appeal as conflict threatens ‘humanitarian and human rights catastrophe’

Amid the start of a reported Israeli ground offensive against the Hezbollah armed group in southern Lebanon and fears of more civilian suffering, the UN launched an urgent humanitarian appeal on Tuesday to support those most in need in the country.

The three-month, $426 million flash appeal launched by the UN and partners together with the Lebanese Government, will address “rapidly escalating” needs for food and other survival supplies, shelter, education and protection of civilians, said UN humanitarian affairs coordination office (OCHA) spokesperson Jens Laerke.

Widespread Israeli shelling has already forced one million people to flee their homes and Mr. Laerke told journalists in Geneva that more displacement is to be expected.

Delivery of aid is dependent on “where the bombs fall next,” he noted.

UN human rights office (OHCHR) spokesperson Liz Throssell said that Israeli strikes in Lebanon have reportedly killed over 1,000 people in the past two weeks alone. In Israel, over 60,000 have been displaced since Hezbollah escalated firing missiles across the UN-patrolled line of separation in response to the start of the war in Gaza in October last year.

OCHA’s Mr. Laerke explained that until now, there had been no humanitarian appeal in place specifically for Lebanon. Existing supplies and capacity to help those affected are insufficient and an injection of funds is needed to increase the response “which is not where it should be”.

Humanitarians are currently distributing aid primarily in collective shelters, he said, as there are around 800 schools and other public facilities that the Government has opened to house the displaced – “which also, tragically, means that kids are not going to school”.

Mr. Laerke explained that it was easier to distribute food and essential items when people are gathered in one place, but that many of the displaced are on the move or sheltering with friends and family, which makes it more difficult to reach them. He insisted that it is essential to provide support “for the full one million people in need”.

With Israeli troops now reportedly on the ground in Lebanon, humanitarians worry that the situation for civilians risks getting more desperate yet. According to news reports on Tuesday, the Israeli military already ordered the evacuation of some two dozen border communities in the south of the country. Inhabitants were reportedly ordered to move north of the Awali River, about 60 kilometres from the border and beyond the limits of a buffer zone between the two countries declared by UN Security Council resolution 1701 after the 2006 war, which was the last time that Israel and Hezbollah were engaged in combat on the ground.

In a statement on Tuesday, the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) said that any Israeli crossing into Lebanon would be “in violation of Lebanese sovereignty and territorial integrity, and a violation of resolution 1701”. The latest reported incursion into Lebanon, which Israel has described as “localised and targeted”, crosses a line of separation known as the “Blue Line” which UNIFIL patrols.

Beyond Lebanon and north Israel, OHCHR’s Liz Throssell warned about the conflict’s “potential to engulf the entire region in a humanitarian and human rights catastrophe”.

“With armed violence between Israel and Hezbollah boiling over, the consequences for civilians have already been awful,” she said. “We fear a large-scale ground invasion by Israel into Lebanon would only result in greater suffering.”

Ms. Throssell stressed the need for all parties to the conflict to “clearly distinguish between military targets and civilians and civilian objects in the way they conduct hostilities”.

“They must do all they can to protect the lives of civilians, their homes and the infrastructure essential to their daily existence, as clearly required by international humanitarian law,” she said.

Asked about the reported use by Israel of 2,000-pound bombs in the attack which killed Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah in Beirut last Friday, Ms. Throssell said that while OHCHR is not in a position to comment directly on the attack, the use of such heavy weapons in civilian areas is of grave concern “because of the principles of distinction, precaution in attack and proportionality” and the risk of civilian casualties.

“We have warned time and time again for almost a year against the widening of this conflict,” OCHA’s Mr. Laerke insisted. “And why do we do that? Because if there's one universal truth in humanitarian affairs, it is that it is infinitely easier and faster to break things and hurt people than it is to fix them,” he said. “So, de-escalate, now.”

-ends-

STORY: Lebanon update and appeal OCHA - OHCHR

TRT: 3:19”

SOURCE: UNTV CH

RESTRICTIONS: NONE

LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS

ASPECT RATIO: 16:9

DATELINE: 1 OCTOBER 2024 GENEVA, SWITZERLAND

1. Exterior wide shot: Palais des Nations, Flag Alley.

2. Wide shot: Speakers at the podium of the press conference; journalists in the Press room.

3. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson, UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “The United Nations and our humanitarian partners in Lebanon have just launched, with the Government, a three-month Flash Appeal to address rapidly escalating humanitarian needs in the country. The appeal aims to support one million people with humanitarian assistance. The ask to international donors is $426 million.”

4. Wide lateral shot: Journalists in the Press room.

5. SOUNDBITE (English) – Liz Throssell, spokesperson, UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR): “Israeli strikes in Lebanon have reportedly killed over 1,000 people in the past two weeks alone. Hundreds of thousands have also been displaced in Lebanon, alongside those recently fleeing into Syria. And over 60,000 have been displaced in Israel since Hezbollah's escalation of missile fire from 8 October last year.”

6. Medium lateral shot: Press briefing participants in the Press room.

7. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson, UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “We are distributing primarily in the collective shelters. I believe there are around 800 schools and possibly other public facilities that the Government has opened, which also, of course, tragically means that kids are not going to school, but they are sheltering displaced families. They are in one place. So it is, if you like, easier, to actually distribute food and mattresses and that sort this thing, en masse, when people are gathered in one place.”

8. Wide lateral shot: Speakers at podium from rear; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

9. SOUNDBITE (English) – Liz Throssell, spokesperson, UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR): “With armed violence between Israel and Hezbollah boiling over, the consequences for civilians have already been awful. And we fear a large-scale ground invasion by Israel into Lebanon would only result in greater suffering.”

10. Wide lateral shot: Speakers at podium from rear; speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

11. SOUNDBITE (English) – Liz Throssell, spokesperson, UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR): “All parties to these conflicts must clearly distinguish between military targets and civilians and civilian objects in the way they conduct hostilities. They must do all they can to protect the lives of civilians, their homes and the infrastructure essential to their daily existence, as clearly required by international humanitarian law.”

12. Wide shot: Speaker on screens; journalists in the Press room.

13. SOUNDBITE (English) – Liz Throssell, spokesperson, UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR): “We're not really in a position to comment directly on the attack, but heavy weapons such as the one that you were describing are of grave concern precisely because of these principles that I referred to earlier. You know, the principles of distinction, precaution in attack and proportionality. The size of these bombs do raise huge concerns with regard to them hitting civilian areas and the resulting civilian casualties.”

13. Close shot: Journalist in the Press room.

14. SOUNDBITE (English) – Jens Laerke, spokesperson, UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA): “We fear that with these developments, things could get worse. Now, we have warned time and time again for almost a year against the widening of this conflict. And why do we do that? Because I think if there's one universal truth in humanitarian affairs, it is that it is infinitely easier and faster to break things and hurt people than it is to fix them. So, de-escalate now.”

14. Various shots of journalists in the Press room.


Documents 1
Download Storyline
Download Expired

Audio Files 1
Download Lebanon update and appeal OCHA – OHCHR 01 October 2024
Download Expired

Similar Stories

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya  victims of  violent business model of systemic violations and abuses

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on UN report on Migrants in Libya victims of violent business model of systemic violations and abuses ENG FRA

Migrants, refugees and asylum-seekers in Libya are subjected to ruthless and systematic human rights violations and abuses, which include killings, torture, sexual violence and trafficking,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , IOM

Ukraine approaches 4 years of war – UNICEF, IOM ENG FRA

Four years of war in Ukraine: Childhood has ‘moved underground’, displacement continues – UN humanitarians

Civilian suffering shows no sign of letting up in Ukraine as the four-year-mark of Russia’s full-scale invasion nears amid attacks on energy infrastructure, blackouts and freezing temperatures, UN humanitarians warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokeperson Marta Hurtado concerns over Cuba’s deepening economic crisis ENG FRA

The UN Human Rights Office on Friday voiced concerns about the severe impacts on human rights of the socio-economic crisis in Cuba. 

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP

1

1

1

Edited News | WFP

Madagascar Cyclone Gezani – WFP ENG FRA

Madagascar: ‘Overwhelming’ destruction, surging needs after back-to-back cyclones – WFP

Some 10 days after tropical cyclone Fytia brought heavy rains and flooding to Madagascar, cyclone Gezani has left the island’s main port in ruins, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR

Ethiopia: Türk urges restraint and steps towards de-escalation amid volatility in Tigray ENG FRA

UN rights chief urges de-escalation in Tigray amid rising tensions and violence.

Sudan humanitarian update  UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF , WHO , OHCHR

Sudan humanitarian update UNICEF - WHO - OHCHR ENG FRA

In Sudan, sick and starving children ‘wasting away’ – UN humanitarians

Relentless violence, famine and disease are picking off Sudan’s children while attacks on healthcare and a lack of aid access hamper efforts to help them, UN humanitarian agencies warned on Tuesday.

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights High Commissioner Volker Türk oral update on Sudan, El Fasher at the Human Rights Council ENG FRA

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk on Monday gave an update to the Human Rights Council on the situation in El Fasher, Sudan.

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNOG

UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al Kheetan on occupied Palestinian territory ENG FRA

“A series of new Israeli operations and settlement plans in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, risk seriously undermining the viability of a Palestinian state and the realisation of the Palestinians’ right to self-determination,” the UN Human Rights Spokesperson Thameen Al-Kheetan told the bi-weekly press conference in Geneva today.

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR

1

1

1

Edited News | OHCHR , UNIS

Lebanon, West Bank update – UNIS Geneva, OHCHR ENG FRA

UN voices concern over chemical spraying incident on Lebanon’s Blue Line

The UN reiterated concerns on Friday at reports that Israeli forces sprayed herbicide over areas north of the Blue Line separating Lebanon from Israel. The development poses a “serious humanitarian risk” to civilians living there, said the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), briefing journalists in Geneva.

Rafah medical evacuations - WHO

1

1

1

Edited News | WHO

Rafah medical evacuations - WHO ENG FRA

Gaza: Five patients evacuated as Rafah reopens while ‘too many stayed behind’ – WHO  

As time is running out for thousands of critically ill patients in Gaza, hope is alive for medical evacuations to increase with the reopening of the Rafah crossing in the southern part of the Strip, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday.

Myanmar military controlled ballot exacerbates violence and social division

1

1

1

Edited News | UNOG , OHCHR

Myanmar military controlled ballot exacerbates violence and social division ENG FRA

This Sunday marks five years of crisis in Myanmar. Jeremy Laurence, spokesperson for the UN Human Rights, and James Rodehaver, chief of the Myanmar team, today spoke on the conduct of recent military-imposed elections, deploring the failure to respect the fundamental human rights of the country’s citizens. The process served only to exacerbate violence and societal polarization.

Gaza education update - UNICEF

1

1

1

Edited News | UNICEF

Gaza education update - UNICEF ENG FRA

Brutal Gaza war erased years of progress on education, in an “assault on the future itself” – UNICEF 

Restoring Gaza’s shattered education system is “lifesaving” and getting children back into schools must be an immediate priority, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said on Tuesday.